S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch not fully engaging?

Old 05-04-2006, 09:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default clutch not fully engaging?

i hope someone has experienced this before, ill be at a light, stopsign, whatever, complete stop, level ground, foot off all the pedals, i then press the clutch fully in and when i move the shifter into gear i get a faint thud and the car inches foward a bit, with the cluch left in i can move the shifter into any gear i want with no more inching, it only happens the first time i try to shift with each clutch press. i've tested to see when it does it, and its not all the time as far as i can tell, but most of the time, hot/cold doesnt seem to matter, and the car does it when ive first started it in the morning as well as after my hour long trip to work. ive tried shifting into first gear, the clunk/move is most prominent in that gear and gets less noticable the higher up the gear. anyone know what this is? ive had the car for 3 weeks and bought it honda certified from a dealership
Old 05-04-2006, 01:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You are rushing the shift into first right after you've been sitting there idling in neutral. By ramming it into first, you are causing the spinning tranny to come to an instant stop. That's the thud you hear.
Next time, try this:
Push in the clutch, wait about 2 to 3 seconds, then put it into first. I'll bet you won't get that thud. Or you can put it into any other gear before going into 1st. The other gears have ratios that can absorb the thud much better - the higher the gear, the less you will notice (4th tends to be a very handy gear to use to stop the spinning tranny just before selecting 1st in the situation you are in). There is nothing wrong with your car as far as this thud is concerned. You are causing it to happen. You can cause it to NOT happen if you so desire.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,May 4 2006, 03:38 PM
You are rushing the shift into first right after you've been sitting there idling in neutral. By ramming it into first, you are causing the spinning tranny to come to an instant stop. That's the thud you hear.
Next time, try this:
Push in the clutch, wait about 2 to 3 seconds, then put it into first. I'll bet you won't get that thud. Or you can put it into any other gear before going into 1st. The other gears have ratios that can absorb the thud much better - the higher the gear, the less you will notice (4th tends to be a very handy gear to use to stop the spinning tranny just before selecting 1st in the situation you are in). There is nothing wrong with your car as far as this thud is concerned. You are causing it to happen. You can cause it to NOT happen if you so desire.
I was wondering what was causing that sound.