S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch not fully engaging

Old 12-15-2014, 12:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch not fully engaging

Hey guys, apparently my transmission hates me. It makes a bunch of different, terrifying grinding noises all the time. But that's not the point of this.

Yesterday, I noticed my clutch wasn't catching like it usually does.. I can disengage the clutch, put it into gear (1-6, doesn't matter), and pull the clutch 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, or fully out and it does the same thing everytime.. It acts as I gas it way too much with not enough clutch and it takes a few seconds to fully catch, but it is very smooth. At first I thought it was me since I coincidentally wore different shoes to drive, but it's still happening all day today.

Also, I decided to floor it under a bridge today. The RPM's shot up faster than my S can accelerate but there was barely any power. When I drive it calm with < 1/2 throttle, it's fine (besides the shifting), but when I floor it (1-6, also doesn't matter what gear) the clutch just loses it and gradually disengages itself, the more I gas it.

I drove home immediately, as soon as I noticed that ^ and started researching it. I thought it was my clutch since I beat it up quite a bit, but I read that it could either be the Clutch Master Cylinder leaking (which mine is a small amount), or I would need to replace the Pressure Plate or resurface/replace the flywheel.

So.. I will bleed it tomorrow and replace the fluid. I'll see if that works, but if not, what would you guys think it could be? I'm looking for the cheapest fix.. at least for a temp fix. If I need to replace the clutch, I will just get an aftermarket clutch kit. I don't know much about cars, so please explain everything in good detail.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:37 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

Dirty fluid, low fluid, missing fluid, none of these will cause your problem.

Most likely you need a new clutch (disc is too thin to provide clamping pressure)

The only way it can be clutch adjustment is if the pedal was incorrectly adjusted (too tight/long). Use your pinky finger and check the freeplay nice and easy. If there is play/slop at the top of the clutch pedal travel, then you need a new clutch.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:43 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

And take this to the bank, as I have done close to 140 of them... DO NOT get an aftermarket clutch kit.

Get a Honda oem disc and oem bearings.

If anyone has any proven solutions (50k plus on the clutch kit) please share.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:49 AM

Agreed.

Those who praise aftermarket clutch pieces do so without the high mileage consideration.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:19 AM

Gotcha. There is a good amount of free play at the top of the clutch (about 1 inch) but I thought that was normal and you can just adjust it to zero play if you wanted to.

How much would it cost me to have a mechanic simply check if I need a new clutch?

My fluid is almost black, idk why I never checked it before, and it's leaking a few drops out the CMC, so I'm going to bleed it and change anyways. Maybe it'll help it enough to drive until I can get a new clutch, if needed.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:32 AM

What is it about aftermarket clutch kits that make them crap out early in their life?
Old 12-15-2014, 11:30 AM

Also, could it be that my clutch just needs to be tighten? With my symptoms, I assume that's not it, but it's worth asking.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:35 AM

ALSO.. lol. I was going to buy this Valvoline Synthetic DOT 3 & 4 brake fluid for the clutch, until I read the owners manual that says ONLY use Honda DOT 3.. Is there anything better than Honda DOT 3?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...4194&ppt=C0069

How much do I need? Just the smaller 12 oz. bottle? The fluid is very dark right now.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Belkin623
ALSO.. lol. I was going to buy this Valvoline Synthetic DOT 3 & 4 brake fluid for the clutch, until I read the owners manual that says ONLY use Honda DOT 3.. Is there anything better than Honda DOT 3?

http://www.oreillyau...04194&ppt=C0069

How much do I need? Just the smaller 12 oz. bottle? The fluid is very dark right now.
Any DOT 3, 3/4, or 4 will do for street driving.

Suck the crappy fluid out with a syringe and pour in new fluid. Then suck it back out, and replace with new fluid again. Do that until it's nice and clear. I do this once every 3-4 months sicne it's stupid easy. But don't let the brake fluid touch your paint.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:12 PM

Ok so I let my dad drive it around the block and he said the clutch just needs to be adjusted. As much as I want to believe this, I don't think its true. With every S I've driven, the engage point on the clutch is pretty far from the floor. I'll search the forums trying to find out how to adjust the clutch, not just the free play.

Quick Reply: Clutch not fully engaging