S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch noises-feel

Old 07-24-2010, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec4life57,Jul 24 2010, 01:07 PM
yup i forgot to say that i bled the clutch also.... i feel something is definetly wrong with the clutch makes funny noises when the clutch engages its smoother at higher rpms then lower rpms... i feel the grinding sensation and i hear it... clutch is not smooth at all thinking the pressure plate is about shot also release bearing.... feels awful it grabs at high rpms but still... doesnt feel right. me greasing the clutch fork and slave cylinder.... that doesnt do anything.... car drives 10x better cold when heated up feels awful makes me think even more its the clutch

ANY OTHER IDEAS IM STARTING TO THINK A FULL ACT HDSS KIT WILL FIX ME UP NICE.... there is an oem exedy replacement clutch in there i feel the PP or something has definitely gone wrong..
this is the exact problem i have right now with my stage 4 competition clutch when the engine is heated up after driving a while.

it feels smooth initially, but then after driving a lot, the pedal starts to feel frictiony, and instead of coming out smooth, it comes out like a clock hand ticking i suppose; jerky, causing me to chirp sometimes looking like an idiot
Old 07-24-2010, 01:58 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It could be a dry throwout guide.
You can reach it with a coat hanger and drop a bit of grease behind the throwout onto the guide.
If the grease groove in the throwout is empty, a little grease will not last a long time.
The only way to get fresh grease in that groove is to remove the transmission.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:28 PM

im going to try and grease the throwout bearing it is definitely hard to get too,threw the clutch fork hole on the tranny i will try my best....
DO YOU THINK A ACT HDSS CLUTCH KIT WILL GIVE ME BACK A GOOD FEELING CLUTCH WITHOUT THE GRINDING AND NOISY THROW OUT? ALSO I WANT A LIL FIRMER PRESSURE PLATE CLUTCH PEDAL IS VERY SOFT EVEN AFTER BLEEDED AND GREASING EVERYTHING I CAN.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:34 PM

i also noticed the slight noise you hear during driving you hear it between 3-4k and dies off higher or lower but the senstation in the clutch and you hear the clutch engage in every gear. when its hot its even worse. its very notchy sinking the clutch and releasing it. at the engagement point there is a slight chunk and notchy slightly vibrating pedal when depressed. if i depress the clutch and rev the gas between 3-4k you hear and feel vibration in the pedal.... sucks fellas hoping a new clutch kit will fix me up nice and get the pedal feel i want with smooth engagement.... lmk guys!!!! thanks s2ki
Old 07-25-2010, 01:38 AM

Well.. lets assume the throwout is not lubed enough anymore, that could mean the splines of the clutch disk are also not lubed enough anymore.
That will cause rough shifting as the disk can't break-free from the PP by itself.

A hasty clutch install will not really fix this.
You need a mech. to take the time to clean splines and put grease where he/she needs to when installing a (new) clutch.
IOW: install the clutch according to the service manual.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:33 AM

GOT YAH THANKS FOR THE HELP IM GUNA SPEND SOME TIME AND DO WHAT YOU SAID AND TRY AND PUT SOME GREASE ON THE SPLINE BEHIND THE THROWOUT BEARING AS BEST AS POSSIBLE AND HOPE IT WORKS... I WISH SOMEONE HAD INSTRUCTIONS ON EXACTLY WHAT TO GREASE... OR JUST GREASE THE SPLINE AND THROW OUT BEFORE INSTALLING AND ALIGNING?
Old 07-25-2010, 03:26 AM

This picture was posted overhere:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=804389
I hope its ok to borrow

Here you see the rusty input shaft spline where the clutch disk is on and the throwout guide where the throwout slides back & forth.
You can reach (part of) the guide with the trans in place but can not reach the spline without removing the transmission.

A service manual (Helms) has all the instructions you need to install a clutch.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:46 AM

Thanks for all your effort and time on showing me how to cope with my problem!
Old 07-25-2010, 04:59 AM

Another question before I make an attempt to lube the guide. I do not lube the clutch fork or where the fork connects to the transmission? I guess in my case this will not be the solution to my problem? I need to go around that to apply lube to the guide. And not to the clutch fork mechanism correct?
Old 07-25-2010, 05:00 AM

Thanks again for the help. I love this forum for this very reason!

Quick Reply: clutch noises-feel