S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Noise

Old 05-15-2012, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Noise

My clutch pretty much failed the other day, and it went out with some noise. I had trouble putting the car in gear, and press of the pedal to shift came with a terrible whining sound, akin to a rubber belt slipping.

At first it was just the sound, at which point I pulled over. I noticed the clutch fluid was low (My CMC is leaking), so I topped that off. Didn't help. Drove home, the pedal went completely limp halfway home. Pulled over again and waited a while. I was able to get the car in gear to finally get home.

I took some video of the sound, maybe it can help narrow down what sort of issue my car is having.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nHdqGo-_3Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalrdrcoThM

From wat I've read about clutch/transmission sounds, the throwout bearing and input shaft bearing will make noise when they go bad, but do they affect clutch function like this?

Could it just be the clutch master cylinder dying?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:44 PM

I believe it could be your clutch slave cylinder causing your pedal to go limp. It could also be your clutch. Please stick around for a real mechanics opinion.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:27 AM

Has anyone else heard anything like this?
Old 06-03-2012, 12:15 PM

I changed the clutch master cylinder, bled the system, and while that fixed the pedal feel the noise remains.

I've searched youtube to see if I could find others with this issue, and I have found other videos with the same noise but they all are without replies or any hint to what it may be.

All in all, looks like only replacing the clutch will fix this, although I never had any issues with the clutch slipping before, or even now. Uhg.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:38 PM

I have had a similar clutch noise since I purchased my S2K. Now my Tranny isn't wanting to go into first gear.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by sars
I changed the clutch master cylinder, bled the system, and while that fixed the pedal feel the noise remains.

I've searched youtube to see if I could find others with this issue, and I have found other videos with the same noise but they all are without replies or any hint to what it may be.

All in all, looks like only replacing the clutch will fix this, although I never had any issues with the clutch slipping before, or even now. Uhg.
I tried the car again shortly after testing it once the new CMC was installed, and surprisingly the noise went away after a few moments and did not return.

I drove the car around for the block, it worked fine, although the clutch pedal engagement point was way off. I decided to bleed the system once again, this time with someone pumping the fluid out with the pedal instead of the gravity bleed i attempted alone when i changed the CMC.

The pedal feel was still firm, but the friction point was still off, and I didn't really notice a difference. I drove the car a bit and after a while gear changes became very difficult, with the car not going in any of the gears.

Could my slave cylinder be bad as well? Does the clutch pedal friction point indicate that the clutch plate is badly worn? Anything helps.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:14 PM

This sounds like the exact issue I am having, except I can't even start my car currently...A new OEM master and slave are being shipped to me that I will be putting in on Tuesday...Hopefully that will take care of my problems..
I was having difficulty going into gear before this happened as well. The only other time I've had a similar issue in another vehicle was an Eagle Talon TSi AWD and that vehicle had a pressure plate issue-- I was really hoping to avoid upgrading my clutch until winter!
I'll stay tuned for updates.
Cheers.
Jim