S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch messed up

Old 07-16-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch messed up

so friday my 2006 s2000 clutch felt weird while driving it when ill put my foot on it it felt vibration so i checked my reservoir and it was empty and then pedal went all the way to the floor i put brake fluid from the gas station hoping ill fix the problem and no it didn't my pedal got super stiff and gears wouldn't go in at all so i was able to turn on my car and drive it back home using no clutch just gears falling in place at high rpms yesturday i replaced the master and slave clutch cylinder from a 2005 s2000 and pedal was not stif anymore but softer now softer then normal but comes up on its own when i was bleeding the lines i noticed loose ball barings about 5 of them inside the transmision bell housing and the engine block can anyone please help me out whats wrong with my car why my fluid went low why my pedal went stiff then soft after i replaced the parts and why there's loose barings in the bell housing??? Thanks
Old 07-18-2017, 05:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow that is a very long sentence that is a bit difficult to read. Sorry to critique your grammar but I think it makes it difficult to help you out. What do you mean by ball bearings loose in the engine block? Surely you just mean steel balls inside the bell housing only. Those balls may be from a destroyed pilot or throw-out bearing. If so, then those would require immediate replacement. People don't typically go through the hassle to decoupling the engine and transmission just to replace a clutch bearing, so you would probably want to do a full clutch replacement.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by jflies
Wow that is a very long sentence that is a bit difficult to read. Sorry to critique your grammar but I think it makes it difficult to help you out. What do you mean by ball bearings loose in the engine block? Surely you just mean steel balls inside the bell housing only. Those balls may be from a destroyed pilot or throw-out bearing. If so, then those would require immediate replacement. People don't typically go through the hassle to decoupling the engine and transmission just to replace a clutch bearing, so you would probably want to do a full clutch replacement.
im sorry about that my grammar isnt that good but yes steel balls in the bellhousing, i just replaced my clutch on October 2016 and throwout baring and pilot baring as well can they go bad that soon?? Also can my throwout baring cause my clutch fluid to go low all the way and my clutch going all the way to the floor?
Old 07-18-2017, 05:56 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Sergons2k
Also can my throwout baring cause my clutch fluid to go low all the way and my clutch going all the way to the floor?
You need to bleed the clutch line.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
You need to bleed the clutch line.
i did bleed it over and over again even when it broke down on the read after i put some fluid in pedal got super stiff and i bled it on the road and it was the same thing pedal was still very stiff. I repalced the master and slave cylinder and now its not stiff but its softer then normal
Old 07-18-2017, 09:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know what to tell you regarding the pedal stiffness going from hard to softer, but I do know that the bearing failure in the bell housing will definitely require you to separate the engine and trans and replace the bearing at least. I've had a throw-out bearing go bad on another car, and the pressure plate fingers were eating into the bearing assembly causing everything to sort of seize together. If that's what is happening to you, perhaps the seized bearing/finger/clutch fork assembly is what made your pedal stiff. Again I don't know why it wouldn't be stiff any more, unless you replaced the cylinders with a dud or have air in the lines.

What kind of clutch did you use? Some cheap clutches have bearings that go bad after only a few thousand miles.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by jflies
I don't know what to tell you regarding the pedal stiffness going from hard to softer, but I do know that the bearing failure in the bell housing will definitely require you to separate the engine and trans and replace the bearing at least. I've had a throw-out bearing go bad on another car, and the pressure plate fingers were eating into the bearing assembly causing everything to sort of seize together. If that's what is happening to you, perhaps the seized bearing/finger/clutch fork assembly is what made your pedal stiff. Again I don't know why it wouldn't be stiff any more, unless you replaced the cylinders with a dud or have air in the lines.

What kind of clutch did you use? Some cheap clutches have bearings that go bad after only a few thousand miles.
yes my my plan is to seperate my transmision and checke whats messed up, hopefully the stiffness and softness of pedal was a bad clutch master and slave cilynder. And i put a competition stage 2 clutch and pilot baring with act pressure plate and new pilot baring from napa.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:58 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Sergons2k
i did bleed it over and over again even when it broke down on the read after i put some fluid in pedal got super stiff and i bled it on the road and it was the same thing pedal was still very stiff. I repalced the master and slave cylinder and now its not stiff but its softer then normal
Unfortunately, sound like you got air into the system. After replacing the master and slave.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:23 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Sounds like your throw out bearings got loose