S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch masters FX300 terrible buzzing

Old 03-01-2021, 03:49 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Given that it is taking all the joy out of driving the car, maybe just bite the bullet and replace it. That is what I would do. El pronto.
What percentage of the problems with these cars do you suppose relate back to a modification? I'd wager its a pretty high percentage.
Don't get me wrong. I have been very tempted to make modifications. I have resisted the temptation, and I plan to continue to resist the temptation. If I were using it as a track car that would be different I suppose. As it is, I drive the car for fun on rural back country roads, and it is terrific for that as is.

Last edited by rpg51; 03-01-2021 at 04:03 AM.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:08 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle
I'm not understanding why anyone would deviate from the winning ACT/OEM combo at this point. It's really something LHT needs to offer.
Million dollar question. The "buzzing" sounds like the springs are enclosed in a looser than OEM housing. They maybe setting-up resonance, at certain RPM ranges.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I appreciate all the input guys! I’ll try and post a video the next time I drive the car so you guys can see how loud this buzzing is. The exhaust is not stock, HKS single with a test pipe. You can very much so hear the buzzing over the exhaust and engine. It’s so loud that I have to drive with the music on to not hear it. Which sucks cause I normally like hearing the engine and exhaust. If I drive with the windows closed and top up, in that specific rpm range, all you hear is the buzzing and vibration. Can’t barely even hear the engine and exhaust over it. This is what makes me think something is wrong and unfortunately I don’t live all that close to go back to LHT to have them look at it. Not to mention they are booked 6 months out.

ive never launched this car. I drove mostly normal for the first 500 miles like recommended but like I said, I heard this buzzing from day 1 that I picked the car up.

I feel like if something was wrong or a bolt was loose the clutch would not operate as well as it does but I really don’t know. I’ll try and get a video on Wednesday of the noise so you guys can try and diagnose a little better.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:25 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm not understanding why anyone would deviate from the winning ACT/OEM combo at this point. It's really something LHT needs to offer.
for the same reason LHT likes to peddle junky kraftwerks, grams and skunk2 -- because they make more money from it
Old 03-02-2021, 03:57 AM

Received 648 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by afzan
for the same reason LHT likes to peddle junky kraftwerks, grams and skunk2 -- because they make more money from it
LHT is just so strange to me on many levels....They do excellent work, I cannot deny that. And I like their philosophy of maintaining quality of work by remaining a relatively small shop with few employees.

What I'm not understanding is their preference in parts....They peddle mostly junk. Only recently I've noticed they started to move away from KW altogether as I haven't seen any KW videos by them, and most of their social media stuff now shows mainly SOS supercharger & turbo kits being installed. They maintained that KW was a good kit for so long, but there's only so much damage control you can do before everyone realizes that's simply not the case. They've quietly moved away from it in terms of promoting it in their videos. I think SOS is going to be their new main offering.

Silly also how they won't do the OEM/ACT combo but they'll do the FX clutches from Clutchmasters. And I can understand if they did it to make money, but the same could be said for convertible tops. They prefer OEM tops and it's "the only thing they'll install", but why? Robbins is a quality top & fits absolutely excellent, and the Haartz cloth version is overall an arguably higher-quality material vs the OEM canvas. I watched my installer get my top done in like 2 hours flat and he had zero issues.

It just seems like their overall philosophy on parts is really counter-intuitive at times. I know LHT is revered as sweethearts amongst the S2000 community. and I'm certainly not trying to bash them....It just seems like too many people take their word as bond on things when in reality they've changed their opinions about things multiple times.

Last edited by Kyle; 03-02-2021 at 03:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
S2000@9k (03-03-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 06:44 AM

LHT is just so strange to me on many levels....They do excellent work, I cannot deny that. And I like their philosophy of maintaining quality of work by remaining a relatively small shop with few employees.

What I'm not understanding is their preference in parts....They peddle mostly junk. Only recently I've noticed they started to move away from KW altogether as I haven't seen any KW videos by them, and most of their social media stuff now shows mainly SOS supercharger & turbo kits being installed. They maintained that KW was a good kit for so long, but there's only so much damage control you can do before everyone realizes that's simply not the case. They've quietly moved away from it in terms of promoting it in their videos. I think SOS is going to be their new main offering.

Silly also how they won't do the OEM/ACT combo but they'll do the FX clutches from Clutchmasters. And I can understand if they did it to make money, but the same could be said for convertible tops. They prefer OEM tops and it's "the only thing they'll install", but why? Robbins is a quality top & fits absolutely excellent, and the Haartz cloth version is overall an arguably higher-quality material vs the OEM canvas. I watched my installer get my top done in like 2 hours flat and he had zero issues.

It just seems like their overall philosophy on parts is really counter-intuitive at times. I know LHT is revered as sweethearts amongst the S2000 community. and I'm certainly not trying to bash them....It just seems like too many people take their word as bond on things when in reality they've changed their opinions about things multiple times.
So funny you mention that. I spoke with john on the phone for a good while when I was making my decision to go boost. We talked about the different options in supercharger as well as turbo. Although I’ve been watching them for years on YouTube, from being on this forum I saw that the KW kit had a lot of problems. The kit seemed to have less problems if they installed it with their revisions, but it still has reliability problems. John spoke with me about that, and this was maybe 8 months ago, and said he recommends the SOS kit over the KW kit. I think they also finally realized the SOS kit was superior and although they still do offer it from what I know, they no longer recommend it.

I decided to go turbo anyway as he highly highly recommended their turbo kit over any supercharger. I think their turbo kit is based off of the SOS street turbo kit also. I eventually backed out after the cost of doing this really settled in. They want 13k for their turbo setup, which includes upgraded radiator, tuning, gauges, catch cans etc, which I know isn’t terrible. However, I have a decently low mileage (36k) AP1 in excellent condition. I felt going this route would ruin the value of the car and after doing a ton of research on here about turbo setups, knew I would eventually end up roasting something in the driveline. This was going to cost even more to fix or repair and I would no longer have the oem part with the car.

So now I’m stuck with this buzzing clutch that sounds like shit lol. It’s unfortunate cause the clutch does operate very well and like LHT says, the pedal feel is like oem. Anyone who has driven my car can’t even tell an aftermarket clutch is in there until they hear the buzzing and think something is wrong lol.

The following 2 users liked this post by sonic9:
rpg51 (03-03-2021), windhund116 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 06:58 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Excessive "buzzing" could be Nature's way of telling you something is wrong.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:01 AM

Received 648 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by sonic9
So funny you mention that. I spoke with john on the phone for a good while when I was making my decision to go boost. We talked about the different options in supercharger as well as turbo. Although I’ve been watching them for years on YouTube, from being on this forum I saw that the KW kit had a lot of problems. The kit seemed to have less problems if they installed it with their revisions, but it still has reliability problems. John spoke with me about that, and this was maybe 8 months ago, and said he recommends the SOS kit over the KW kit. I think they also finally realized the SOS kit was superior and although they still do offer it from what I know, they no longer recommend it.

I decided to go turbo anyway as he highly highly recommended their turbo kit over any supercharger. I think their turbo kit is based off of the SOS street turbo kit also. I eventually backed out after the cost of doing this really settled in. They want 13k for their turbo setup, which includes upgraded radiator, tuning, gauges, catch cans etc, which I know isn’t terrible. However, I have a decently low mileage (36k) AP1 in excellent condition. I felt going this route would ruin the value of the car and after doing a ton of research on here about turbo setups, knew I would eventually end up roasting something in the driveline. This was going to cost even more to fix or repair and I would no longer have the oem part with the car.

So now I’m stuck with this buzzing clutch that sounds like shit lol. It’s unfortunate cause the clutch does operate very well and like LHT says, the pedal feel is like oem. Anyone who has driven my car can’t even tell an aftermarket clutch is in there until they hear the buzzing and think something is wrong lol.

I understand the sentiment exactly, and I come from the literal same background. Watched LHT youtube for many years before acquiring my s2000; they're also what made me want a supercharged s2000 even more than I already did (that plan was in the cards long before I even got my car) but moreso they're who made me want a KW kit. I got my car, and immediately opened communication with them. I didn't save the email, and I don't remember exactly, but between the kit installed, tuned, clutch install, radiator etc I was looking at a rather large bill myself; roughly 10k+ and that isn't even factoring the transportation of the car from CT to FL, so I ultimately backed out and decided to pursue my own path with the car.

And I'm glad I did. I feel I ultimately would've been left with an inferior supercharger kit that would've broken & either left me stranded or just would've just become a major liability. And I know a few people who have had their kits installed by LHT personally, who have also had the common failure of the hub bolt breaking, and LHT wasn't very helpful after the fact such as saying the belt was too tight yadda yadda. So they've essentially washed their hands of you once your car leaves their shop if you have a problem (unless you're a famous YouTuber with reach *cough cough*). I also opted not to go turbo for the exact reasons you stated, plus I feel a supercharger is a much less invasive package than a turbo would be. I've made virtually no permanent modifications to my car to fit my supercharger, and luckily unless I'm launching the car or banging gears constantly, the majority sentiment is I won't need to worry about the drivetrain as the shock on it from the linear power curve is much less severe than a turbo's power delivery.

Regarding the clutch: I installed my OEM/ACT setup myself and I can assure you that the pedal feel is virtually unchanged from OEM. I was surprised after I manipulated the pedal for the first time to test it out after the install how it compared to OEM. Maybe SLIGHTLY stiffer? Again, unless I drove both setups back to back, I really wouldn't be able to notice any difference whatsoever. I've also heard that the FX pedal feel might even be too light for some, as some have complained about that as well. Considering how LHT values OEM Honda parts so much, I'm surprised they haven't even attempted to offer this. ACT is probably one of the most reputable brands for clutches out there, so I don't see any issue with that in comparison to Clutch Masters....It's just funny to that in some of their videos they even talk about it as some "weird clutch setup using different parts" essentially writing it off like there's no way it could be better than their beloved FX300, when they didn't even install it or try it for themselves lol. I feel like John is a very opinionated guy, but also a very sensitive one who doesn't respond well to criticism, so it's a one-way street trying to change his mind.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kyle:
lltysonll (08-03-2021), S2000@9k (03-03-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Excessive "buzzing" could be Nature's way of telling you something is wrong.
lol I completely agree. The buzzing in my car is really terrible. I’m going to get a video tomorrow and post it for you guys to hear.

I understand the sentiment exactly, and I come from the literal same background. Watched LHT youtube for many years before acquiring my s2000; they're also what made me want a supercharged s2000 even more than I already did (that plan was in the cards long before I even got my car) but moreso they're who made me want a KW kit. I got my car, and immediately opened communication with them. I didn't save the email, and I don't remember exactly, but between the kit installed, tuned, clutch install, radiator etc I was looking at a rather large bill myself; roughly 10k+ and that isn't even factoring the transportation of the car from CT to FL, so I ultimately backed out and decided to pursue my own path with the car.

And I'm glad I did. I feel I ultimately would've been left with an inferior supercharger kit that would've broken & either left me stranded or just would've just become a major liability. And I know a few people who have had their kits installed by LHT personally, who have also had the common failure of the hub bolt breaking, and LHT wasn't very helpful after the fact such as saying the belt was too tight yadda yadda. So they've essentially washed their hands of you once your car leaves their shop if you have a problem (unless you're a famous YouTuber with reach *cough cough*). I also opted not to go turbo for the exact reasons you stated, plus I feel a supercharger is a much less invasive package than a turbo would be. I've made virtually no permanent modifications to my car to fit my supercharger, and luckily unless I'm launching the car or banging gears constantly, the majority sentiment is I won't need to worry about the drivetrain as the shock on it from the linear power curve is much less severe than a turbo's power delivery.

Regarding the clutch: I installed my OEM/ACT setup myself and I can assure you that the pedal feel is virtually unchanged from OEM. I was surprised after I manipulated the pedal for the first time to test it out after the install how it compared to OEM. Maybe SLIGHTLY stiffer? Again, unless I drove both setups back to back, I really wouldn't be able to notice any difference whatsoever. I've also heard that the FX pedal feel might even be too light for some, as some have complained about that as well. Considering how LHT values OEM Honda parts so much, I'm surprised they haven't even attempted to offer this. ACT is probably one of the most reputable brands for clutches out there, so I don't see any issue with that in comparison to Clutch Masters....It's just funny to that in some of their videos they even talk about it as some "weird clutch setup using different parts" essentially writing it off like there's no way it could be better than their beloved FX300, when they didn't even install it or try it for themselves lol. I feel like John is a very opinionated guy, but also a very sensitive one who doesn't respond well to criticism, so it's a one-way street trying to change his mind.
I appreciate the input man! I’ve pretty much settled on going the ACT/OEM route next. How long it takes me to do this is the question. I could do it now but damn I feel like I’m throwing $1300 down the drain lol. Live and learn I guess. Like I said above, I’m gonna get a video of this buzzing and post it up tomorrow for your guys to see and hear for yourself.

I still love LHT and their work but I agree with you 100 percent that they tend to push inferior products. This clutch has not been the end all be all of clutches like they say. I’ve purchased hand made titanium pieces from them though and the craftsmanship is incredible. They upgraded the retainers and keepers on my car to the AP2, changed my clutch master cylinder, and just overall took really good care of my car while it was there. No extra miles were on it and it was cleaner when I picked it up than when I dropped it off with no extra scratches or dents. This is huge for me. I’ve had bad experiences in the past with shops working on my car and getting it back dirty or with extra damage that wasn’t there when I dropped off. Huge pet peeve of mine.

Im in Orlando about two hours from them but really don’t want to make the drive out there and wait 6+ months for them to install a clutch again so my options are limited. I don’t trust a Honda dealer to touch my car. Just for shits and giggles though, I called a local Honda dealer for a quote on a clutch change. They quoted $3500. I almost Immediately wanted to slap the shit outta him over the phone. Literally over double what any other shop would charge.

ive looked into doing it myself and it doesn’t look impossible. I have all the tools but changing a clutch on jack stands worries me lol

Last edited by sonic9; 03-02-2021 at 08:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 09:34 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by sonic9
lol I completely agree. The buzzing in my car is really terrible. I’m going to get a video tomorrow and post it for you guys to hear.
I really hope the springs don't come out of their harness and gouge into your flywheel and pressure plate.

Ouch!

Quick Reply: Clutch masters FX300 terrible buzzing