S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch masters FX300 terrible buzzing

Old 02-28-2021, 03:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clutch masters FX300 terrible buzzing

What’s up everyone!

A year ago, LHT performance installed an FX300 clutch and lightweight flywheel, with all their normal oem bearings and grease, in my 02’. Almost immediately when I started driving the car back home, I noticed it buzzed really badly on decel in the 2-3.5k rpm range. I figured the clutch was new and just breaking in as its operation was fantastic.

Now, I hardly drive the car and maybe have put a 1000 miles on it since the clutch was installed in January of 2020. The buzzing is still there and so bad and annoying that It honestly takes away from the joy of driving the car. It’s just this harsh buzzing and vibration when decelerating below 3.5k rpms. If I hold the car in that rpm range, so just maintaining speed, I also hear the buzzing.

The clutch operates amazingly though and I love the feel of the pedal. Is this normal with this clutch and do others experience this? LHT never really mentions this buzzing and vibration in their videos so I was not expecting this at all. Although the clutch operates very well, I 100% want to go back to oem simply to get rid of this sound.

thanks for any input!

if it matters, my car is stock aside from an HKS single exhaust (which was on the car prior to the clutch being installed and I never heard this buzzing), coilovers, wheels and tires. No other engine or transmission modifications.

Last edited by sonic9; 02-28-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:16 PM

Received 648 Likes on 441 Posts

Did you install the clutch with the plan to go boosted in the future? There's literally no reason to deviate from OEM otherwise. Even then, for most moderate boost setups, the OEM disk w/ ACT HD PP is the way to go.

Oh LHT...why do you keep selling people garbage....?
The following users liked this post:
rpg51 (03-01-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle
Did you install the clutch with the plan to go boosted in the future? There's literally no reason to deviate from OEM otherwise. Even then, for most moderate boost setups, the OEM disk w/ ACT HD PP is the way to go.

Oh LHT...why do you keep selling people garbage....?
My original plan was to go boost which is why the clutch was installed. I’ve since decided to keep the car N/A.

I know this clutch is complete overkill now that I’m staying N/A, but I don’t really want to go through another clutch install. If this is normal for this clutch to buzz and vibrate on deceleration like this then I’ll just deal with it for a while longer before I go back. If others aren’t experiencing this buzzing then I’ll assume I have a problem
Old 02-28-2021, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by sonic9
My original plan was to go boost which is why the clutch was installed. I’ve since decided to keep the car N/A.

I know this clutch is complete overkill now that I’m staying N/A, but I don’t really want to go through another clutch install. If this is normal for this clutch to buzz and vibrate on deceleration like this then I’ll just deal with it for a while longer before I go back. If others aren’t experiencing this buzzing then I’ll assume I have a problem
You're not the only one to report buzzing, no. Seems to be pretty common with these clutches. You'll just have to deal for now, unfortunately.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Expected behavior.

My fx200 buzzed a little and my fx400 now also buzzes. this is par for the course with a lot of aftermarket clutch kits.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle
You're not the only one to report buzzing, no. Seems to be pretty common with these clutches. You'll just have to deal for now, unfortunately.
understood, thanks for the reply and info!

Originally Posted by jimboslice
Expected behavior.

My fx200 buzzed a little and my fx400 now also buzzes. this is par for the course with a lot of aftermarket clutch kits.
Sucks but somewhat relaxed knowing this is normal. Just sucks that IMO it makes the car sound cheap and like shit..I can hear it over the exhaust even. Even though I love the way the clutch operates, I don’t see this staying for the long term unfortunately

thanks for the reply!
Old 02-28-2021, 07:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also had an FX300, self-installed, that does not buzz anymore.
The first time it was installed by a Honda tech that didn't do the job right, and it buzzed, but I found when I removed it that it was a loose pressure plate bolt causing it. Removal was about 1 year and 3k miles later.

What I did was new release bearing guide, liberal use of Honda urea grease on the splines, throw-out bearing, the guide, and the clutch fork.
I made sure to do the install in sequence (x pattern across pressure plate), and that was it.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sonic9
understood, thanks for the reply and info!

Sucks but somewhat relaxed knowing this is normal. Just sucks that IMO it makes the car sound cheap and like shit..I can hear it over the exhaust even. Even though I love the way the clutch operates, I don’t see this staying for the long term unfortunately

thanks for the reply!
I totally get what you mean! Do you have a stock exhaust? It's interesting to me the buzz is loud enough to overcome the engine noise. maybe post a video of the sound?
Old 03-01-2021, 03:00 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by jimboslice
I totally get what you mean! Do you have a stock exhaust? It's interesting to me the buzz is loud enough to overcome the engine noise. maybe post a video of the sound?
Is this buzz due to the loose springs setup on the clutch disc?
Old 03-01-2021, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Is this buzz due to the loose springs setup on the clutch disc?
As far as I know LHT installs the disk with the enclosed springs. And LHT has done enough clutch jobs to where it's like breathing for them, so I doubt there was anything done incorrectly during install. These clutches still have been known to fail though, I think LHT even did a video on it with Obsessed Garage's CR.

I'm not understanding why anyone would deviate from the winning ACT/OEM combo at this point. It's really something LHT needs to offer.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (03-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Clutch masters FX300 terrible buzzing