S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch master cylinder leaking

Old 01-23-2012, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clutch master cylinder leaking

Recently I've noticed my clutch pedal release point getting lower, and shifting getting a bit awkward. Yesterday I checked the CMC, and found it low on fluid, with metal dust & black stuff on the reservoir sides. I sucked out the remaining fluid and refilled it with good new brake fluid. On driving, the pedal release point came back up and shifting became easier - though not as good as normal. My car is an '06 AP2 with 41K miles, original clutch & PP, totally stock drivetrain.

I'm considering replacing the master & slave cylinders, but read a thread talking about repeated fluid changes of just the reservoir contents extending life of the MC and reducing/stopping leakage. I'm wondering whether this is worth trying before ordering the new cylinders.

Or, might there be good cylinder rebuild kits out there? I read caveats about some 3rd-party MC's, so figure I'll stick with genuine Honda parts, unless someone has a good but less costly suggestion.

As for bleeding, I haven't done it on an S2000 yet - any problems with it? I typically use a My-T-Vac hand vacuum pump to suck fluid through the system, making sure the MC doesn't run dry, then finish up with positive pedal pressure bleeding using an assistant.

Grateful for any advice.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:19 AM

Best thing to do is suck out whats in the reservoir and clean it as much as possible then refill. Do this 3 days in a row or so and see if the leak stops.... I have the same problem right now and after doing this my fluid and reservoir are spotless but i still have a leak so im going to be buying a new cylinder. Make sure you try that first though before spending money
Old 01-24-2012, 06:11 PM

You replaced the fluid in the reservoir.

It's just me, but because I keep cars for a long time, I'd bleed that sucker to flush the old fluid out of the master/lines/slave. I know that one member whose opinion I value greatly says that replacing the fluid in the reservoir is sufficient, but I keep cars for decades...so I'm willing to spend a couple of bucks every 3 years or so.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic: it absorbs water from the air. The water can eventually, over many years, cause rust/corrosion inside the clutch master and slave, brake master and caliper. I'd recommend replacing the brake fluid in the brake and clutch systems about every 3 years if you intend to keep the car. If it's a lease, do the minimum that the contract requires and let the next owner worry about it. (Note that if you're tracking the car, you're expected to bleed the brakes quite often to ensure that the water the fluid has absorbed doesn't boil at the end of a long straight...)
Old 01-24-2012, 07:38 PM

>>I'd recommend replacing the brake fluid in the brake and clutch systems about every 3 years <<

Good advice ... and I usually practice it. I flushed the brake hydraulic lines at my last pad change, but have been a bit remiss on the clutch hydraulics.

I will do the reservoir clean/refill several times over the next week or two, and plan to flush the clutch hydraulic lines at my next oil change, while I have it up on the jack stands. It's about due IIRC, so I'll get to it as soon as I finish helping my younger kids on their fixer-upper house.

Then of course if it keeps leaking I'll do the MC & SC.

BTW, I too keep my cars a long time. I still have my previous DD of 15 years, an 87 Toyota MR2.

Tx, guys.

Bob
Old 01-16-2014, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best thing to do is suck out what’s in the reservoir and clean it as much as possible then refill. Do these 3 days in a row or so and see if the leak stops.... one of friends have the same problem right now and after doing this his fluid and reservoir are spotless but he still have a leak so now he going to be buying a new cylinder. Make sure you try that first though before spending money...
Old 01-17-2014, 04:03 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

i did as suggested, sucked out old fluid, clean it, fill and then i bled the system. to clean out the lines. keep an eye on the fluid level. i also used Billman's gravity bleed method. easy and can be done by one person. i generally change out my clutch and brakes when i do my engine oil. well full disclosure i do all my fluids once a year since the car is no longer daily driven and mainly used for autocross and some pleasure drives.