S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Leak :(

Old 11-24-2009, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Leak :(

So today I installed a brand new CLUTCH master cylinder. I did this because my clutch engagement was feeling weird, took it to a well known a reputable mechanic (Tony Fuch) here in SFV, CA, and he said that my master cylinder was going bad. Now I didn't want to spend the $300 at his shop to do it so instead I decided to do it myself.

After I got the new master cylinder installed I took apart the slave cylinder and cleaned it out just to get extra gunk out of there. After that I proceeded to put it back on and bleed the brake system until there were no air bubbles. Now my clutch still has absolutely no pressure and I am noticing a small leak from the rubber part the connects to the slave cylinder.

Originally I thought it was because I forgot to put a washer back where the slave hose and cylinder meet but there is no brake fluid coming from there. I have no idea what is wrong but I do know my car won't drive.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 11-24-2009, 08:07 PM

Hmm...Did you make sure the Slave Cylinder Rod was right in the middle of the indentation of the Release Fork before tightening everything down? Theres little space to see if it actually landed in the spot. Maybe you stepped on the clutch and it slipped off the fork. Let me know if you need more of an assistance. I'll walk you through the procedures if you'd like.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove the slave cylinder and re-install it. The rod has to sit on the cup that's part of the transmission. You kind of have to wiggle it in. The leak might be from the piston (large cylinderish) piece that's being push out.

Where's the fluid level in the CMC? Did you pump the pepal after your last flush?
Old 11-24-2009, 08:41 PM

So I got it fixed and you guys were both right. The rod from the slave cylinder wasn't sitting right with the release fork of the clutch. Once I got it seated right and flushed it the pedal pressure came right back and the car is driving normal again. Now my next question is this, has anybody noticed that even after they changed their master cylinder the pedal engagement is different than before you noticed a problem? My clutch seems to engage lower to the floor than with my last CMC and I don't like it as much. Is there any way to adjust it or am I just gonna have to get used to it?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:26 PM

Did you make sure you topped off your CMC? Maybe when you installed your new CMC the Lock-nut located between the CMC and the Lock/Pedal Pin wasn't adjusted right. You should of matched up where the lock nut on your old one was before you put the new one. If that doesn't work. There's more detail I have to explain. Hope this solves the problem though.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:45 PM

BTw, the clutch should engage a little lower - more friction material = quicker engage.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:45 PM

I made sure the CMC is totally full and I also adjusted the pedal engagement so it's just how I like it.

Thanks for all the help guys now my last question is how do you change out the slave hose that's connected to the slave cylinder? I have a stainless steel clutch line I would like to put in there but just didn't have time to do it when I was taking all this stuff apart today. Now that I know how simple a clutch bleed is I will do it fairly soon.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:53 AM

Hmm never installed a stainless clutch hose I'm I'm assuming you just unbolt the banjo fitting and reinstall. Shouldn't be too hard, I'm sure you can figure it out. I wanted to do this when I changed my CMC, but it seemed like the upgraded hose has no benefits. Let me know how you like it.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by wisdom,Nov 26 2009, 11:53 AM
Hmm never installed a stainless clutch hose I'm I'm assuming you just unbolt the banjo fitting and reinstall. Shouldn't be too hard, I'm sure you can figure it out. I wanted to do this when I changed my CMC, but it seemed like the upgraded hose has no benefits. Let me know how you like it.
I couldn't just unbolt the hose. I have to take off a plate off the the body of the car where the hose meets the metal part of the clutch line. I would have done it but I don't have deep sockets in metric sizes. Once I get some I'll do that since bleeding the clutch is super easy. I think it only has a benefit of keeping pressure better under heavy use like SS brake lines would at the track. other than it probably has no purpose
Old 11-26-2009, 02:36 PM

Hmm I had no idea how to install one. At least you know how. Btw what brand did you get? Not the Js right? Since that's like $200. I was looking to get the SOS line since it was about $20.

It's ofther purpose was weight reduction, your wallet is now lighter.

Quick Reply: Clutch Leak :(