S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch job

Old 09-19-2015, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch job

Hey guys, getting a new clutch installed this week, sadly I can't do any work on my car anymore because of my back so I was getting a shop to do it. My question: is this a pretty straight forward install, as in I shouldn't have any problems once installed unless the parts are faulty? I ask because I have a local that will do the install for 70% less than the shop. And I know the saying you get what you pay for and I usually dont cheap out on my car but it's the difference of almost $400. I read the DIY, it seemed pretty straight forward, just want to know if this is something I should only let a shop take care of
Old 09-19-2015, 06:02 PM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreCivicsPlease
Hey guys, getting a new clutch installed this week, sadly I can't do any work on my car anymore because of my back so I was getting a shop to do it. My question: is this a pretty straight forward install, as in I shouldn't have any problems once installed unless the parts are faulty? I ask because I have a local that will do the install for 70% less than the shop. And I know the saying you get what you pay for and I usually dont cheap out on my car but it's the difference of almost $400. I read the DIY, it seemed pretty straight forward, just want to know if this is something I should only let a shop take care of
It's pretty straightforward as long as the shop knows what they're doing. Getting the top starter bolt out without breaking the knock sensor is the only challenging part. If they're careful it's no problem. I did my clutch job all by myself and although it took me way longer than I expected I didn't run into any major problems.

My clutch job was tougher than most because it was the first clutch job on my car, and it's an '03 an had 330,000 miles. Needless to say I encountered some stubborn bolts. I also took care of lots of other maintenance items while I had it torn apart.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:07 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

For your own sake I hope you're not planning on using aftermarket clutch parts
Old 09-19-2015, 07:25 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Taking off the starter bolt wasn't as hard as I though it would be. The trick is to have a really good light source so you can see, or you can just remove the knock sensor. Most of the time the damage is done when trying to remove the bolt and the tools inadvertently smash into the KS.

Also you may not need then but it's a good idea to get an OEM rear main seal and a new guide sleeve for the release bearing...just in case, because if you do need to replace those things, you're not going to find them at the auto parts store, or the dealership.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the local's experience level with S2000 clutch jobs? And is he prepared (for the financial burden) to replace the knock sensor if he breaks it?

It's not a hard job to do in one's garage with the right tools & knowledge, so if the guy has some experience I wouldn't be too concerned about saving yourself some money. But I'd want to either know him personally, or have several people you trust that can vouch for him.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by afzan
I'm doing ACT PP, OEM disc and bearings. I think I'll just go with the shop then, they are what everyone uses on our local forum and when I go SC I was going to have them do it anyways so it may be good for them to know my car
Old 10-12-2015, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by afzan' timestamp='1442714879' post='23752184
I'm doing ACT PP, OEM disc and bearings. I think I'll just go with the shop then, they are what everyone uses on our local forum and when I go SC I was going to have them do it anyways so it may be good for them to know my car
dropping the trans down is easy, but im having problem installing the trans back, this is an Ap2 , i have used the special alignment and it wont go in.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:45 AM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Princeneo
dropping the trans down is easy, but im having problem installing the trans back, this is an Ap2 , i have used the special alignment and it wont go in.
You need to line the tranny up so that the shaft goes straight in. If it's at an angle it won't go together. You might have to rock it a little to get it to come together but it shouldn't be that difficult. I had to tilt the engine a little more to get it to line up.

Once the guide pins are lined up you can pull it in the rest of the way by putting in the tranny mounting bolts and tightening them.

If I can install mine all by myself with just a floor jack, I'm sure you can do it.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by slalom44
Originally Posted by Princeneo
You need to line the tranny up so that the shaft goes straight in. If it's at an angle it won't go together. You might have to rock it a little to get it to come together but it shouldn't be that difficult. I had to tilt the engine a little more to get it to line up.

Once the guide pins are lined up you can pull it in the rest of the way by putting in the tranny mounting bolts and tightening them.

If I can install mine all by myself with just a floor jack, I'm sure you can do it.
yea i did every thing i could rock it push it twist it still wont go in, i even removed the clutch again and reinstall back using the alignment tool and still wont go, is there any specific mark to install the flywheel? the reason why i ask because before i bolt it on i saw a mark on the crankshaft and im worried maybe i installed it wrong.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:38 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

There is no clocking on the flywheel. And the flywheel doesn't directly engage anything on the trans.

Its just a matter of positioning it. Its always a bitch to do until you get the hang of it.

Or you have doubled up on a dowel pin? Look at the dowel pins that are used to line the trans up. There should be one pin per hole. Sometimes, these fall out and you can attempt to use two pins for one hole.

Quick Reply: Clutch job