S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch issue - please help

Old 05-27-2009, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issue - please help

Hi all, I noticed a few days ago the pedal on my s2k seemed softer to me, particularly in the morning. I didn't think much of it and assumed it was in my head. It drove fine the clutch just seemed shorter and less stiff. Anyway fast forward to yesterday, I had trouble getting into reverse for the first time ever. Today it was all the gears. At one point it took me several tries at a red light. I thought I was going to be stuck. I am wondering if it could be a fluid issue. At the Dragon I watched Billman do his clutch fluid change from the top (suck out the fluid and then fill it back up) and he said that is all that is necessary on our car, no bottom bleeding. I was planning to do that soon. I checked my clutch fluid resevour and it is low, its at the very bottom of the resevour. Could that cause my issue? I assume its not a wear issue because once I get into gear its fine and it seems to grab just fine. There is an acura dealer right by the office I am at today. I was going to stop and grab some clutch fluid and fill the resevour, but first I want to find out if low fluid would cause this or if I'm looking at something else?

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:17 AM

if your fluid is low it will be hard to disengage the clutch. if your fluid is low you also most likely have a leak somewhere. top off the fluid and see if that helps. and start looking for leaks, probably first around the master cylinder area just inside the firewall.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:46 AM

Ya I assume by the firewall, Billman said almost every s2k leaks there. Would minor amounts of fluid in the resevour cause my symptoms? Thanks
Old 05-27-2009, 10:47 AM

yes. Seems like a lot of older s2ks have a clutch master cyl. problem! Wear+tear item, apparently
Old 05-27-2009, 10:55 AM

So do I need to just add fluid or do I have air in the system? If its low on fluid could it have sucked in air?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:30 AM

as long as the fluid didn't get all the way to the bottom then you didn't introduce any air into the system that way. top the fluid off and see if that makes a difference. and start planning to replace the MC
Old 05-27-2009, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ikeyballz,May 27 2009, 10:47 AM
yes. Seems like a lot of older s2ks have a clutch master cyl. problem! Wear+tear item, apparently
I've been having this problem, all i did was change the Master Cylinder and the S was good as new.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:55 PM

Okay, I stopped at the dealer on the way home and got some brake fluid (dot 3) and went ahead and filled it up. It was not completely empty, but it literally was VERY VERY low. I mean, if I blew on the fluid I probably would have exposed the little hole the fluid goes down. This was with the car off. My main question is, when the clutch is in use does the fluid go down further? If so, I probably exposed air to the system. I'm not sure though but with the car turned off to top off it was VERY low.

After filling it up to the top, it drove home fine and didn't seem to give me problems engaging any gears anymore. But it's hard to say for sure because after it was so difficult this morning, once it finally let me in gear the last time then I was able to drive without any issues other than an occasional grind that I attribute to it disengaging slowly. The pedal does still seem a little less stiff to me (I have the ACT pressure plate), but it could be in my head. I'm not sure if I should bleed it or not. Kind of a pain as the building I'm in now doesn't allow car work, but if I have to I'll find a place to do it.

My question is, if I got air in the system would I know rather quickly or would it take a while for that bubble to travel around the system. And if it is there, is this going to possibly cause the clutch to not disengage (or re-engage) all the way and possibly wear it while driving?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:45 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry5729914

Just saw this post from Billman. That sounds just like me.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:36 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Ok do this

Clean out the res squeaky clean with paper towels, then refill it HALF WAY.

Now to bleed. One man job, no tools needed. Don't touch the bleeder you'd be wasting your time.

Go under the car, using a bright flashlight, look through the rectangular windows in the boot that hides the end of the slave and the clutch fork.

Using you finger of screwdriver, push the fork all the way towards the rear of the car (it will push the slave cyl push rod into the slave) then let it return all the way. Do this 4-5 times.

This will expell any air to the top of the res.

Once the bleed is done, fill the res to the proper level.

Quick Reply: Clutch issue - please help