S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Issue (master cylinder?)

Old 02-11-2018, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Issue (master cylinder?)

Hey,
Thanks you in advance. I have an 2001 AP1. The other day I came out to my care and noticed the clutch was engaging very low. Soon it became pretty difficult to change gears, getting lower and lower. I experienced no problems driving the day prior. So, I drove it immediately to the closest autozone and filled the clutch MC. It was low at the time. This helped a little but, but the car was still shifting poorly. So I drove it to my hangar where I could work on it. I noticed that the MC on the driver side was leaking some pretty grimy stuff (inside of MC, the brake fluid was black as well), so I thought, why don't I replace this as well. Well, I bought a generic centric part from amazon that had pretty good reviews and installed it. After install, the clutch has no recoil. It just falls down to where it was engaging previously and had has the same softness. (I did do a gravity bleed of the clutch system numerous times) Under the car there are no leaks.

My thought was, even if the system has poor pressure, the clutch should recoil. Maybe I need a genuine honda MC (or I broke the centric), and I'll see what it does after thats in. The old genuine honda MC seems to have good recoil even out of the clutch system. Or could this be a slave cylinder problem? although that seems less probable. Or is there something else I could be missing???

Appreciate it.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:57 AM

thank you for sharing with us .
Old 02-12-2018, 07:30 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you also replace the slave cylinder? When I've had a clutch with your symptoms, it's been the clutch slave cylinder that has gone bad.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:51 AM

I did not. I have the centric part and could do this next. Shouldn’t the pedal still recoil though? It just sits an like 3 inches from full depression.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:54 AM

Received 443 Likes on 366 Posts

How did you bleed the system?
Old 02-12-2018, 01:44 PM

I just gravity bled it. Opened the system at the bottom and kept it full at the top. I used at least 400cc’s.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:46 PM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ludemike
I just gravity bled it. Opened the system at the bottom and kept it full at the top. I used at least 400cc’s.
When replacing the clutch master I usually use a combo of two person and gravity bleeding. Doing a gravity bleed alone with a lot of air in the system never seems to really well.

Also, it just sounds like you have air in the system. So give a two person bleed a shot. I’ve used the centric CMCs several times and they work just fine.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:44 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. I believe it was the slave cylinder causing my problems. I finally got everything fitted right and adjusted the clutch engagement. Better than before now!
Old 02-13-2018, 06:03 AM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ludemike
Thanks for the help everyone. I believe it was the slave cylinder causing my problems. I finally got everything fitted right and adjusted the clutch engagement. Better than before now!
Did you replace the slave cylinder?
Old 02-13-2018, 01:11 PM

I did. If there ever was a leak thats where it could have been.

Quick Reply: Clutch Issue (master cylinder?)