S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch issue at low rpm’s - High rpms mask issue

Old 04-23-2018, 06:26 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

All symptoms point to grease. Not enough, or wrong kind or not in all needed places. The problem existed before, and existed after. One thing that could explain both, grease issues mentioned above. Done wrong before, done wrong again. If done wrong for reasons of lack of knowledge, mechanics answer will be the same both times. I know I did it right.

Ask yourself this question, if he is such an S2k expert, how come he can't figure out what is wrong? How come he made you pay $1k+ to fix something he is expert at, and its still broken? His diagnosis was wrong, obviously, but he still made you pay for replacing perfectly good parts. An honest mechanic would make the effort to properly diagnose a vexing issue that he failed to correct the first time, and not charge you for it.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This mechanic wasn’t the one who installed the act pressure plate 30-40k miles ago.

To his defense, I purchased the parts before he actually saw it. His shop is about 40 miles away from me. I did try to diagnose the issue myself with greasing the fork, replacing the master and slave but nothing seemed to fix it. When i Got the car back, he thought it was the pressure plate since everything seemed in order.

The only thing that wasn’t replaced, which fixed the other s2ki members issue which was similar to mine, was the pilot bearing and fork spring. I’m not sure if you can determine, once you have the tranny open, if those parts are bad but I went with what was recommended here for standard clutch replacement.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:09 PM

Update:

Took the car to the mechanic today. He took off the slave and checked the issue. Everything seemed greased properly. With a bar, he moved the fork and felt the issue/heard the noise. He also checked for crank walk but the engine was fine. He believes the issue is a defective pressure plate.

Its strange the car is having the same issue as before but it did work fine for a few days until the issue re-appeared. Not sure if taking it to another mechanic would help since there is only so much you can do without removing the tranny.

Im going to contact the website I used, hondapartsguys, to request a replacement and see if I can file a claim for the labor for the second tranny drop.

If anyone has any other suggestions let me know.

The only thing I was thinking is asking him to put in writing if the issue re-appears again with the new pressure plate, that he would refund me the install and correct the issue since it’s something different. Not sure if he would agree but I don’t want to continue to shell out labor cost.

Or, I can drive the car with the issue since the pressure plate doesn’t have as much force vs the act. It just has the annoying notchy feeling but doesn’t slip or cause any issues putting into gear.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:16 PM

To add to my previous post, I saw he used a endoscope with a camera to check the tranny opening. I ordered one to see if I can take some images, video and post it here to see if anything is noticed.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:47 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

There's an easy way to verify all this. Slip a tiny amount of grease on the release guide. If it quiets down the clutch/smoothes out the pedal stroke you'll know he was selling you a bag of rocks. Also I hope you have the rubber boot thats supposed to be there keeping out dirt and water from washing off the grease.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:12 AM

I saw once he pulled out the fork the grease he spoke about. I didn’t see the actual guide being greased but I’m guessing that is what he was looking for when he put in the camera.

Yea the rubber boot is there.

Before taking it to him, I did try to do the fork/guide greasing but it was tough since the car wasn’t on a lift. I couldn’t tell what needed to be greased. I’m hoping the endoscope I ordered will help but would their be a problem if I were to just spray grease around the area? Is there something in there that shouldn’t be greased?

Also, if I were to take it to Honda, would they charge me to verify what is wrong with the clutch. I haven’t been to a dealership in years but I remember they give you free estimates on what is wrong and can verify if everything looks greased up.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:53 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

A honda dealer may not know...unless they have a very experienced guy.

Remove the slave cyl and boot.
using the straw that comes with it, try spraying some lithium grease at the guide bearing.

See if the issue goes away.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:43 AM

Got under the car again to check what the mechanic saw yesterday and give you guys a look.

Pictues are before and you can see the grease I added after ad I progress.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:46 AM

Here is the video clips with my iPhone.

I ended up putting grease on both fork tips. They seemed to be dry but not sure if they are suppose to look really lubber up.

also put some on the guide. Going to drive now to see if I notice any difference.

what do you guys think?
Old 04-29-2018, 11:58 AM

Received 451 Likes on 378 Posts

It doesn't look like the proper Honda urea grease in there, but you need to look deeper inside on the release bearing guide.
The fork doesn't need much grease at all, looks way to much in that video but I guess it shouldn't hurt much either.

Quick Reply: Clutch issue at low rpm’s - High rpms mask issue