S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch issue at low rpm’s - High rpms mask issue

Old 04-06-2018, 05:54 AM

Received 208 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhemi
Thanks for all your help. Yea caught that church / clutch mistake. Predictive text problems. Lol

This is my daily driver. Don’t want this to end up not letting me shift at all so trying all I can before I spend the $$$ on all the parts.

But the issue seems to get worse as the car warms up from what I’m seeing.
I thought so

All the more important to try to get the issue solved in the cheapest way possible then (since she's your DD).

Since its exacerbated by heat then I believe its a lubrication issue and/or the clutch disc not being able to stand up to the heat it should be able to meaning its defective/excessively worn...? I could be wrong about that.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now knowing what I need to lubricate within the fork, should I try that again this Saturday to see if it helps or if it gets this bad, the damage is done? Also would the lubrication only help with the pedal being notchy or would it also help with the engagement being very high?

I just find it strange that it just happened all of a sudden. Wasn’t a gradual issue. Didn’t hear any noise, just pressed the clutch and the feel was different.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:03 AM

Now knowing what I need to lubricate within the fork, should I try that again this Saturday to see if it helps or if it gets this bad, the damage is done? Also would the lubrication only help with the pedal being notchy or would it also help with the engagement being very high?

I just find it strange that it just happened all of a sudden. Wasn’t a gradual issue. Didn’t hear any noise, just pressed the clutch and the feel was different.
Lack of lubrication would manifest itself in the pedal being notchy. High engagement, I doubt that but it could be a symptom. Still doubt it. You've already adjusted your clutch pedal, correct?
since it suddenly happened it makes me think that is a clutch disc issue or maybe the PP itself... hard to speculate. Best way is to pull it apart and see for yourself if the lubrication trick doesn't work.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:22 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Not enough or Wrong lube used or not applied everywhere its supposed to be.

The problem is this is all soooo much more critical than it is on most any other car. So a normally very good, experienced mechanic might easily not realize they didn't grease everywhere needed, or use a grease that works terrific on other cars.

My money is on good mechanic caught out by uniqueness of this car. He's going to insist he did everything right, based on his years of experience. But unless that experience was with working on these cars, he would be wrong in this case.

Get The Right Grease. Honda urea grease. Try to apply using coat hanger trick (its a clothes hanger btw, not a close hanger!)

If that doesn't do it, you'll need to drop trans and grease it properly. Just buy clutch disk and release bearing. Replace both only if disk shows wear. With those low miles guessing all is well, and you can save parts for next time. This way no downtime waiting for parts, since its your dd.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:07 AM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

The release bearing guide should be replaced at every clutch interval.

At $30 for the part...if I'm taking off the trans, I usually replace it whether it needs it or not.

Use only Honda HT urea grease to grease the sliding surfaces on the release guide and clutch splines. Also the pivots on the fork.

Your mechanic either didn't replace it...or he used the wrong grease. Any person who has done any clutch would know to grease the release bearing guide...so he probably did grease it. But again...key is to replace the guide and to use the correct grease.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:46 PM

update:Replced the clutch and the symptoms are gone. Mechanic thinks it’s the pressure plate that failed since the clutch disk looked fine. My act pp had about 40k miles on it which seems a bit low to give out. Now that I’m back to stock, the clutch feels so soft. Hopefully this clutch last the life of the car
Old 04-15-2018, 11:20 PM

update:Replced the clutch and the symptoms are gone. Mechanic thinks it’s the pressure plate that failed since the clutch disk looked fine. My act pp had about 40k miles on it which seems a bit low to give out. Now that I’m back to stock, the clutch feels so soft. Hopefully this clutch last the life of the car
Glad to hear it! Did he find that the release bearing guide was not greased? How did the PP look since he thinks that it failed? Any damage to the "fingers"?
Old 04-21-2018, 10:54 AM

Well my nice smooth clutch only lasted 3 days. The issue has come back. Very strange how it was perfect for a few days and all of a sudden, the same noise/notchy feeling came back.

The main difference from now and before is I can get it into gear. Before it took effort for 1st gear and reverse especially when the car was warm.

I’m going to take it to the mechanic again next week. Sucks this whole time it potentially wasn’t my act pressure plate but since it takes more to open it up, the issue was worse. 1300 down the drain. Lol

Any idea on what this can be now that the clutch, master cylinder and slave were all replaced? The clutch seems to lose the notchy feeling when you are driving at higher rpm’s and switch gears, just as before.

I wonder if I were to take off the slave cylinder and use something to help me push the fork if I would feel the notchy feeling. If I were to feel it, at least that would eliminate the slave and master from being the issue. Is this possible?
Old 04-21-2018, 11:46 AM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

So...

Did he not replace the release bearing guide? Did he use HT urea grease?
Old 04-21-2018, 11:52 AM

I’m pretty sure he did since I brought him the parts I mentioned above. Actually found an issue similar on another post here. His fix seemed to be greasing the fork and bearing but I’m checking with my mechanic to see if this was done to eliminate that being the issue.

here is the post:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...lutch-1157540/

here is the video of the slave/fork noise.

Quick Reply: Clutch issue at low rpm’s - High rpms mask issue