S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch issue at low rpm’s - High rpms mask issue

Old 04-05-2018, 04:16 PM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

has the clutch been replaced?
Old 04-05-2018, 04:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clutch was oem up until 135k when I went boost. Then I put in a act pp with the rest oem components. Was like this until 165 k miles when I blew my motor. Clutch was moved over to my newer motor. During the 135 and present mileage, replaces the slave and master due to leaking. Those I would feel the clutch get higher and higher engagement until I couldn’t put it in gear. Clutch didn’t feel notchy like it does now those times. Also haven’t lost any fluid.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:31 PM

Received 208 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhemi
Clutch was oem up until 135k when I went boost. Then I put in a act pp with the rest oem components. Was like this until 165 k miles when I blew my motor. Clutch was moved over to my newer motor. During the 135 and present mileage, replaces the slave and master due to leaking. Those I would feel the clutch get higher and higher engagement until I couldn’t put it in gear. Clutch didn’t feel notchy like it does now those times. Also haven’t lost any fluid.
What type of boost were you running? What exactly happened causing the motor to blow?
Old 04-06-2018, 04:02 AM

Car blew after I sold the kit and went back to stock. Pushing it one day and heard a bang, oil pressure dropped and the engine started rattling. Rod knock. I had an aem end and had it tuned back to stock the week before so thought it has something to do with that.

Any other suggestions on the clutch issue? If there isn’t an easy fix I’ll bite the bullet and get a new assembly. Read the throw out bearing or pressure plate failures can cause similar symptoms but the mileage on both isn’t a lot. Would be surprised to have them fail so soon.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:33 AM

Car blew after I sold the kit and went back to stock. Pushing it one day and heard a bang, oil pressure dropped and the engine started rattling. Rod knock. I had an aem end and had it tuned back to stock the week before so thought it has something to do with that.

Any other suggestions on the clutch issue? If there isn’t an easy fix I’ll bite the bullet and get a new assembly. Read the throw out bearing or pressure plate failures can cause similar symptoms but the mileage on both isn’t a lot. Would be surprised to have them fail so soon.
Ouch! Must have mis-tuned by the tuner then.

Perhaps it was not aligned properly from the onset? Who installed the clutch kit for you?
Old 04-06-2018, 04:58 AM

Have a mechanic locally I’ve used for years for big jobs. Had this new motor for the last 3 years without any issues. Maybe he didn’t grease the clutch but who knows.

Update: This morning I start the car and the clutch seemed somewhat normal with clutch feel. Engagement is still a bit high but the pedal wasn’t as the video showed. After a few gear changes driving, the issue came back. Also car got to operating temp at that time. After driving for 20-30 min, trying to get into reverse was a problem. Needed to clutch a few times until I was able to get it in. Didn’t hear any gear grind, just wasn’t letting me put it into gear. Any ideas?

If a clutch is needed, Did some research and here is the parts list I came up with. Seems prices have gone up for oem. Does it look right?

Disk friction. - 22000-PCx-005
disk pressure. 22300-pcx-015
bearing clutch release. 22810-pcy-003
bearing clutch pilot. 91006-pcx-008
guide release bearing. 21103-pcy-003
urea grease. 08798-9002
Old 04-06-2018, 05:15 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

The fork is pulled off the release bearing, it has a little hanger, it'll still be in the bellhousing, but gives you just enough space to grease the release bearing guide. If the clutch is engaging higher and higher it can mean a wearing clutch disk.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:31 AM

Have a mechanic locally I’ve used for years for big jobs. Had this new motor for the last 3 years without any issues. Maybe he didn’t grease the clutch but who knows.

Update: This morning I start the car and the clutch seemed somewhat normal with clutch feel. Engagement is still a bit high but the pedal wasn’t as the video showed. After a few gear changes driving, the issue came back. Now it seems it’s interminnent for some reason this morning but it’s 90% bad pedal feel, 10% good. Any ideas?

If a church is needed, Did some research and here is the parts list I came up with. Seems prices have gone up for oem. Does it look right?

Disk friction. - 22000-PCx-005
disk pressure. 22300-pcx-015
bearing clutch release. 22810-pcy-003
bearing clutch pilot. 91006-pcx-008
guide release bearing. 21103-pcy-003
urea grease. 08798-9002
No one's perfect so that is possible...

"church"? HAHAHA. Sorry man, couldn't resist a LOL at that one. Sincerely hoping we can help you get this issue resolved. Like Slow said below it sounds like a really worn out clutch disc. When I ran boost on a (dumb and cheap) locally assembled 4 puck clutch that was so terrible in every way, the pedal felt progressively stiffer until one night in excess of 120mph on the freeway I shifted to 6th and felt the pedal not come back up... disc blew its springs out. Even the clutch fork became dislodged from its bracket. Pathetic clutch disc that was. Previous owner installed that under false pretences. I never would have...
Old 04-06-2018, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
The fork is pulled off the release bearing, it has a little hanger, it'll still be in the bellhousing, but gives you just enough space to grease the release bearing guide. If the clutch is engaging higher and higher it can mean a wearing clutch disk.
Yip, yip and yip.

P.S. This is but why did you choose the name "Slowcrash_101"?
Old 04-06-2018, 05:36 AM

Thanks for all your help. Yea caught that church / clutch mistake. Predictive text problems. Lol

This is my daily driver. Don’t want this to end up not letting me shift at all so trying all I can before I spend the $$$ on all the parts.

But the issue seems to get worse as the car warms up from what I’m seeing.

Quick Reply: Clutch issue at low rpm’s - High rpms mask issue