S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch issue

Old 01-07-2009, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issue

Hi guys.

About 3k miles ago I replaced the clutch in my MY00 S2000.

All has been fine until last month, when I would intermittently get a problem, the weather has dropped to -10C this week in the UK and the problem seems to have got worse.

Basically the clutch feels great until the last 2-3 inches of travel, here it seems to stop then I really have to push it to move the last inches. The clutch then audible bangs as the pedal hits the floor.

When I fitted the clutch I greased the selector fork as reccommended with the MB stuff (was in a mates Merc Benz garage at the time). All was great afterwards, perfectly smooth and felt really nice to use, now it's not.

Any help would be great, as in this cold weather its a pain to change gear sometimes as I don't always put the clutch all the way in due to the issue.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:30 AM

when i greased the fork, i didn't quite put the cylinder slave + rubber boot back together quite right. what happened, i think, was that there was a small amount of play left when i bolted back up.

when i took it on the road for the first time after doing the fix, the same thing happened to me that you're describing. it was smooth for a few miles, and then one time when i shifted, the clutch went down 85% of the way, and i instinctively gave it more pressure to go the remaining 15% and i heard a loud snappy clicky sound. not really a BANG, but definitely a sound that should not be coming out of the clutch assembly. it freaked me out, for sure. i had to pull the clutch pedal back up with my toes and i pumped the clutch a few times, and it was okay, but the same thing happened 10 minutes later.

i determined that i didn't seat the slave cylinder and rubber boot quite right. it definitely has to do with that rubber plunger fitting that connects the slave cylinder piston to the coupling. if you don't slide the plunger fitting so the fork can extend as far as possible out from the slave cylinder into the rubber boot, the clicking/banging noise you're describing is going to keep happening because the fork won't quite seat correctly with the coupling on the transmission.

i took it apart and reassembled it again, and it's been fine for months now.

does that make sense? i can probably provide pics if you need to, but if you replaced the clutch, you probably know what i'm talking about.

good luck.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:02 AM

Thanks, I guess I'll get under the car and take the cylinder off and have a look.

Is there anyway I can accidently pull the fork off and mean the gearbox has to come off at all?

I assume i just need to unbolt it the cylinder, clean and grease everything and make sure the fork is seated correctly?