S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch issue

Old 02-03-2006, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Clutch issue

gosh i do the corrections to my cv swap, cruising down the highway and now the clutch will not fully disengage. i bled te clutch, several times over, and nothing it will not fully disengage, i searched topics but no one has stated if they have had this problem corrected, what would the fix be?!?! some one please reply the only thing anyone replied to my last topic was.....search, i have searched no one states what corrected this prob, its not fully disengaging
Old 02-03-2006, 09:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

So, you have a clutch that "drags", right? What are the symptoms?

If you have a clutch that won't fully disengage, then it is dragging. You could need one of the following:
- a proper clutch bleed. (We don't know if any of the ones you've already done, were done correctly.)
- new master cylinder
- new slave cylinder
- check the alignment of the release fork and/or alignment of the slave cylinder rod end to the release fork end
- new throw out bearing
- new pressure plate
Old 02-04-2006, 08:05 AM

i definatley did the bleed right, even tried to move and jack the car up and let it settle to see if it had air in the system in a little crevice, but nothing. the slave and master cylinders are ok, if i slow the trans down with the 1st gear synchro, u can hear the gears stop moving, which mean its fully disengaged, then i let the clutch engage again, and try to disengage it once more and it wont come all the way back, i think it might be the release bearing, i'm an ex wrench turner so my bleed was correct, i'm just trying to isolate the problem so i can buy parts and repair, like i was saying the m/s cylinders are ok no leaks or anything. i dunno i'm stuck as of now.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:59 AM

i definatley did the bleed right
On this, I'll have to take your word for it. Clutch bleeds on this car can be problematic/idiosyncratic and don't necessarily follow the typical characteristics of, for example, a brake bleed, but if you say you did it right, it's hard to dispute since I don't know how you did it.
see if it had air in the system in a little crevice
Not sure what this little "crevice" is that you're talking about.
if i slow the trans down with the 1st gear synchro, u can hear the gears stop moving
Not sure what you mean by this or what exactly you are doing here. Clutch in? Clutch out? Car moving? If you leave it in first, the gears in the tranny will not stop moving so long as the car is moving, so it's not the gears you aren't hearing.
and try to disengage it once more and it wont come all the way back
So, what you're trying to say is that you push the clutch to the floor and it won't come all the way back up when you let it go, right?
i think it might be the release bearing
This is still a distinct possibility.
m/s cylinders are ok no leaks
Just because you see no leaks doesn't mean there are no leaks. These could be leaking internally and the fluid just hasn't made its way out yet so you can see or feel it. Another thread last week had similar problems as you and it was a master cylinder.

You haven't indicated any of the typical symptoms of a clutch that drags - such as difficulty in selecting a gear when stopped starting from neutral or difficulty in shifting unless the revs are matched perfectly or the tendency for the revs to get pulled way down below normal idle when coming to a stop and your clutch is to the floor.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:33 AM

i have not been completly clear

[QUOTE]Not sure what this little "crevice" is that you're talking about.

by this i mean that air in the hydraulic lines and m/s cylinders sometimes are can find its way into little crevices, corners, bends etc. thus making the bleed almost never 100% effective, i also just did the inner cv swap that same day, but i had left the car up on stands the night before because it began to rain, allowing air to creep up slowly maybe? nothing dramatic but it is possible

[QUOTE]You haven't indicated any of the typical symptoms of a clutch that drags - such as difficulty in selecting a gear when stopped starting from neutral or difficulty in shifting unless the revs are matched perfectly or the tendency for the revs to get pulled way down below normal idle when coming to a stop and your clutch is to the floor.

that^ is exactly something i left out and it randomly started, did not get worse in increments, just randomly started

[QUOTE]Not sure what you mean by this or what exactly you are doing here. Clutch in? Clutch out? Car moving? If you leave it in first, the gears in the tranny will not stop moving so long as the car is moving, so it's not the gears you aren't hearing

haha not to joke but ofcourse when the car is not moving and the clutch is "disengaged" as in pedal all the way down. when i am at a stop windows up, i can hear the gears spinning, if i put it in first, since the car is not moving the gears will stop, and i can hear that so that means its disconnected from the engine. but if i put it back into neutral, and let the clutch engage and then disengage it again, it wont disconnect the engine from the trans, get what i mean? this is all at a stop so i can use the wheels as a brake.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by us2bwrx,Feb 4 2006, 01:33 PM
when i am at a stop windows up, i can hear the gears spinning, if i put it in first, since the car is not moving the gears will stop, and i can hear that so that means its disconnected from the engine. but if i put it back into neutral, and let the clutch engage and then disengage it again, it wont disconnect the engine from the trans, get what i mean? this is all at a stop so i can use the wheels as a brake.
Not being there to hear what you hear, I can't be exact in my response. I have heard this phenomenon on almost every S2000 I've sat in. This may not be a good test of clutch function. What you hear may not be the tranny gears but rather, it may very well be the throw out bearing with and without load. And this may or may not be abnormal.
If you had true clutch drag, this would be aggravated by a cold drivetrain. It would be consistently hard to put into gear from a stop in neutral. Plus, on level ground, after a cold start, once you did get it into gear, with no brakes applied, the car will lurch forward. If this is the case, it might be time to pull off the rubber cover at the slave cylinder, operate the clutch and see if the release fork travel is condusive to proper function. This may give you some clue as to which part to target.
How's the fluid level? Has it changed since you finished the bleed?
Old 02-04-2006, 02:42 PM

Lightbulb

Fluid levels have not fluctuated, i even checked it over night but i even get the geyser like normal use would indicate. ok now responding to what i hear, i'm pretty sure its the gears. the throw out bearing, shouldn't be audible unless its going bad i think , not sure but i think. because its not one object spinning, sounds like the the input shaft, but other than that, since this is my first s2k, i did not know how to access the fork, i figured i could take off the slave but that wouldn't work out, i'm a former rexer so things are Very different!! dang boxer engines, i left the car at honda, they will not look at it till tuesday so ill post up then. Have you had experiences with "dragging" clutches? i split a clutch in half with my rex....too much torque and almost felt the same but the rex wouldn't leave gear haha. thanks for your speedy replies, left me anxious every time i booted up the comp, has anything like this ever gone around your way?
Old 02-04-2006, 02:47 PM

Not personally. My car has never had any mechanical problems in the over 5 years that I'v owned it. I can only relate based on what other have posted and the nearest thing to what you're describing was a bad master cylinder (leaking internally). I'm not going by the sounds you hear. Those cannot be determined to be abnormal over the net.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:06 PM

good point haha i should have recorded the sounds hahahaha j/k
Old 02-04-2006, 03:30 PM

Here's where I'm having a problem with this whole situation. You started off with a clutch disengagement problem. But then, you are starting to hear noises that point towards the transmission (gears as you put it). I think you are heading in the wrong direction. Don't let the sound of something that you are unfamiliar with divert you from what the original problem is. If your description (though not very complete) is correct so far, you do not have a transmission problem. You have a clutch system problem.

Quick Reply: Clutch issue