S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Install

Old 05-04-2007, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Install

I have actually never done a clutch install but am a tech (just new).
I am going to change the clutch on my S2k but wanted to know 2 things before I get started:

1) I am supposed to release the clutch fork, does that mean remove it from its position so it is losse and floppy or do they mean press it like the slave cylinder would so that the clutch is in a released position?

2) I have heard that on some rwd cars it can be tough to seperate the tranny from engine when the time comes. What are your experiences with the s2k and do you have any tips?
Old 05-04-2007, 06:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Yes, you need to get the clutch fork out of its pivot point so that it's "loose and floppy." Otherwise, it will be hard to get the transmission away from the engine.

2. I had no trouble separating the transmission from the engine. The only posts I've seen on S2KI where people had trouble involved a bolt still holding them together.

For what it's worth, one of the most popular mistakes people post about is removing the lower starter bolt rather than the upper.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:27 AM

Lucky I havn't quite started doing this yet because I was looking off the images on the DIY page and where they say the bolt is looks to me like the lower starter bolt.

I have been just looking around for the past 10 mins or so and can't seem to find the upper starter bolt. Does anyone have a better picture? Or at least a better description of it's location?
Old 05-04-2007, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly, the starter bolts are holding a flange that looks like a diamond with the corners rounded. If the "corner" your looking at points down (mostly) it's the wrong one. The upper is, as I recall, about 5" higher and a bit closer to the block. You can see it plain as day once you get the airbox/intake tubes and alternator out of the way. Just get a bright flashlight and put your head down between the radiator and the throttle body and look under the throttle body.

A universal joint, universal socket, or wobble extension and about 20" of extensions makes it easy. Otherwise, you'll have to make do with what you have on hand.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:04 PM

yeah i recently did 2 s2000 clutch's and its all farely simple and quick even with only jackstands the only issue i had was that starter bolt like RedY2KS2k get everythign out fo the way and u should be ables to see it plus the head of the bolt at least in my case was a redish color so it was easier to see and identify as one of the bolts..and once u get it out just leave the extension with the bolt still in the hole all where it lies it makes it easier to put it back in... you should be able to change it no prob good luck
Old 05-05-2007, 10:50 AM

There is a slot between the transmission and engine which you can use to pry it open if needed. Once the slave cylinder is off you can just give the release fork a little tug and it will pop right off of the release bearing. Be sure to mark the sterring column VERY CLEARLY before you disconnect it. (Playing the guessing game doesn't work so well) Make sure you grease the new release bearing.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:57 PM

Just did 2 changes in one night essentially.
Not being too familiar with a PP install I let my buddy do that part of it.(he has done several clutches on 240's).

He torqued down the PP too much so once evrything was back together I turned on the car and couldn't get it in gear.

I figured it out and spent all night doing evrything over again.
1pm-5am

Got everything working and in now. Thanks for the help.

BTW I never disconnected the steering joint. I did not find it necessary.