S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch and Honda Dealer

Old 01-27-2004, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch and Honda Dealer

I have been having transmision problems, hard to shift into reverse, problems shifting into 2nd at low rpms

took it to the dealer. they want to replace the entire clutch assembly for about $1000

car has 24k miles.
i was out of the country for 6 months, brother and father using car while i was gone. they beat the shit out of the clutch i guess. :0

anyways, am i being ed? do i need to replace the ENTIRE thing or just one part? i asked about just replacing the disk? he said nooo because there may be more wrong with the clutch or it might not fit well with mine or there may be a rattle or something. "since it is going to be an all day job, 7 hours or so, we should do the whole thing at once"

since it's going to be $1000 i'd like to not. please help
Old 01-27-2004, 01:13 PM

the price doesn't sound too bad but I'm trying to figure why they say the clutch is the problem from what you are describing.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:15 PM

..also how many times have you changed the tranny fluid and with what?
Old 01-27-2004, 02:13 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Ninegrand is right. It doesn't sound like you need a new clutch. Check your clutch master cylinder to see if the reservoir is low.

If the clutch isn't slipping or making some bad noises, then I'd reconsider using that shop. They'll blow your $1000 and your clutch won't work any better than before they started.

Another possibility - clutch pedal adjustment. But I'm not sure why that would have changed while you were gone.

You might want to post the detailed sysmptoms, and we can help figure out where the problem is likely coming from. From what you described, your brother/father tag team may have been rough on your synchros, not your clutch. A transmission fluid change may help (especially if you haven't had one yet).
Old 01-27-2004, 05:14 PM

Mechanics like to 'do the whole thing' at once for a couple reasons. First it makes their job easier. They don't have to diagnose anything when they can replace every thing. They know that when they put it back to gether it will work.

Second, they know that if they put 7 hrs into it and only replace some of it, you'll be back complaining a few months later when the rest of it fails. Then they either have to charge you another 7 hrs labor & make you crabby, or they have to eat the 7 hrs & make the manager crabby.

So for them it makes sense to do it all the way the first time & that is what I expect them to do. On the other hand if I am supplying the labor for free I'll sometimes skimp on parts with the understanding that I may have to take it all apart again in a few months. But it's a hobby so who cares.

I figure $1K for a clutch is a deal. But I agree with the others that it doesn't sound like your clutch disk is shot. Either syncros or adjustment or fluid.

Could the clutch be dragging a bit & not releasing completely?
Old 01-29-2004, 04:53 PM

So did you ever get this figured out??
Old 01-29-2004, 05:13 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

I agree you don't need a clutch...I would start with changing the clutch fluid, and the MTF(trans fluid), and check the freeplay on the clutch master cyl pushrod.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:21 PM

I'm just hoping he checks this info out before letting the mech do the job.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:36 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Well, the mechanics have made their diagnosis on what they feel is the problem. Should you not read this thread in time, and the clutch job is in process, make sure the problem has been remedied BEFORE you give them a dime. I'd be dammed to pay 1k for a maybe...It's amazing, you guys who have posted know exactly what's going on with the clutch, more than the mechanic (sorry, parts changer) who actually had the car right in front of him, and you guys probably don't do auto repair for a living like I do. Props to our site and members...
Old 01-29-2004, 06:02 PM

I've read a few of your local area posts and wish I had you or someone like you billman in my area. Very comforting to have a mechanic who actually cares about the car being worked on

Quick Reply: Clutch and Honda Dealer