S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Help. Car won't move.

Old 09-23-2002, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Help. Car won't move.

My clutch has been slipping a lot for the past week. Last night I was driving to pick up my sister. I could floor it in 6th gear and the clutch would just slip like crazy. I drove the 3 or so miles to pick up my sister and the whole way the clutch was slipping depending on how much gas I gave it. However, it would still engage and move the car. When I parked the car and got out, I noticed it was smoking and just said to myself crap cause I knew it was getting really bad. So I pick her up and were on our way home. We get about 1/4 away and I get to a stop and get ready to make a left turn going up a hill. I start making the turn up the hill and then the clutch just couldn't handle it anymore. The clutch only had enough grab to hold the car from rolling down the hill, but not enough to get it to go up. So the car is parked on the street and this morning I went to go see if it works, nope. Clutch pedal pressure and everything seems fine so I'm pretty sure it's just the disk. The car revs like in it's neutral even though it's in gear. So I need to get a new clutch installed ASAP.

Besides for the clutch disk and pressure plate, what else do I need for a full clutch install? Whats a throw-out bearing? I got a quote from BPA for a ACT 4 puck clutch with pressure plate for $427. I got a quote from someone else and they said something like $700. I asked why the hell so much more and said cause he includes a throw-out bearing. And another thing, which clutch is more aggressive, the ACT 4-puck or 6-puck?

Another thing... I havn't gotten the TSB for the clutch done on my car yet. However, Honda voided the warranty on my drivetrain after they did the 1-2 grind "fix" and repaired my rear-end under warranty. Although the dealer said the drivetrain warranty is voided, can I still get this TSB done under warranty and just have them install the clutch I supply for them?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you figure your drivetrain warranty is voided? Unless you're not telling us everything, a dealer can't just void your warranty because they worked on it once.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That clutch warranty is also for a buzzing sound the eminates when decelerating at around 4000rpms from the clutch. I had to let the service manager drive my car "around the block" to hear the buzzing before they would do the warranty work. Once they did hear it they were happy to. However with your clutch slipping I don't think they could reproduce that sound since the car is not drivable as of right now. And from what you say, doesn't sound like they are going to take your word for it with out witnessing the problem itself. That and I believe they will install a 2002 clutch.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called the dealer about getting the TSB done, and this is what they said:

Since my rear-end is modified, they won't do the TSB.

History: About a month ago my diff went out and they replaced it under warranty. They had all the parts except for the ring and pinion which was on national back order with no ETA. They said the earliest would have been around September (2.5 weeks). I told them that if I supplied the part, would they install it? They agreed because the S is my only car and I need it for work and school. They also agreed to reimburse me for the cost of the ring and pinion that I supplied.

Ok, so I tell the guy that a modified final-drive has NOTHING to do with a clutch disk. His answer was, "It could." After that I just said "OK thank you", and hung up.

This guy is the one that deals with all the S2000's that come in (service writer). Except for mine, I have another service writer who gives me no problems. All the other S2000's that come in, he allows them to have aftermarket equipment. But when it comes to me, I'm SOL. This is the second time I've been in a situation where I have asked this particular person for help and he has done NOTHING at all. I'm starting to wonder if it's because of my age or what.

P.S. Forgot to mention that the dealer already knows that I have the buzzing problem. I wanted to get it done a while ago but my tech advised me to wait until my clutch actually goes bad so I can get a free one when I need it.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:36 AM
Former Moderator

find a mod-friendly dealer. there are some good ones out there. AHM can void your warranty for whatever reason they want...they did mine because I threw a fit and demanded satisfaction after listening to them tell me "it'll be ready tomorrow" every day for 14 days.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like the clutch disc is completely worn out. That will happen over a long period of time with gentle use (my friend managed 250 k miles on his highway driven Civic), or more quickly with improper aggressive engagement. How many miles are on your car?

Please be honest with yourself about how you have used the car. High RPM clutch drops done properly minimize clutch slippage, but if the clutch was slipped under these conditions this will greatly shorten its life. If so, please think about whether it is fair to ask the dealer to replace it for free.

Like you say, aftermarket parts in a differential should not affect clutch life. But if your car is modded more extensively, the dealer may have the impression that you are agressive with the car and may be reluctant to replace wear items like clutches.

I was also advised to wait to have the clutch TSB done, and it was completed last week with 35k miles on my car. I hope you can get this issue resolved to your satisfaction.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:40 PM
Banned

They will not replace your clutch under the TSB with it completely gone. And they shouldn't have to either. Not to mention, you should have been able to notice that the clutch was that bad a LONG time ago. When it won't engage till it's almost completely let out, you should know something is wrong.

AHM cannot void your warranty whenever they want or because of aftermarket parts. Call up your service writer and tell him to go read up on the Magnuson-Moss act.

Blake