S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Help

Old 10-03-2014, 05:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If its feasible i would go ahead and change both the master and slave cylinder. Both are pretty easy jobs to do yourself.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:53 PM

Received 1,395 Likes on 836 Posts

Keep in mind 90% of S2000 clutch master cylinders leak. Doesn't mean its bad.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slalom44
I recommend that you wipe off the inside of the reservoir, top off and bleed as described by Billman (the thread should be in FAQs). It worked for me.

Originally Posted by windhund116
" Thanks for the reply. I just snapped a couple photos of the clutch master cylinder and it does seem to be very low as you can see in the pics. I guess the bright side is, we found the issue. I do not see any leaks...What kind of oil can I buy to fill this back up? Thanks for the help! "

I'd use OEM Honda DOT 3 Brake fluid for the clutch hydraulics. It's also common for the fluid level to drop (sometimes a lot), as the clutch disc wears out. Also, common for the engaging pressure to feel heavier. The pressure plate loses lever angle advantage, as the disc wears out and the fingers in the plate move further forward to meet the disc. Actually, I've had cars where the clutch fluid level drops faster, when disc wears out... than the brake fluid level as the brakes pucks wear out.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-...da+brake+fluid

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
If its feasible i would go ahead and change both the master and slave cylinder. Both are pretty easy jobs to do yourself.

Originally Posted by Billman250
All of the help from you guys is great. I will do some research in the FAQs section and see if this is something that I can do myself. In the meantime I will try simply filling up the master cylinder with DOT3 and bleeding it out.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:34 AM

Can anybody explain in Layman's terms how to "bleed" the system? I want to try to do this on my own.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:40 AM

Received 479 Likes on 391 Posts

Open clutch master reservoir cap, use syringe or turkey baster to remove old fluid, add new clean fluid. Go under car safely, remove bleeder cap, attach clear plastic hose to end of bleeder, place the other end of hose into an empty receptacle, use 8mm open end wrench to crack bleeder open. Allow gravity to drain fluid, once fluid flows out clean close bleeder, top off fluid, close master reservoir cap.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:07 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
It just means its added character.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Open clutch master reservoir cap, use syringe or turkey baster to remove old fluid, add new clean fluid. Go under car safely, remove bleeder cap, attach clear plastic hose to end of bleeder, place the other end of hose into an empty receptacle, use 8mm open end wrench to crack bleeder open. Allow gravity to drain fluid, once fluid flows out clean close bleeder, top off fluid, close master reservoir cap.
Any pic of said "bleeder cap"? Does the car need to be lifted to get to this? Thx!
Old 10-07-2014, 08:08 AM

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Bleeder is the nipple with 8mm hex head, upper right side of slave, in photo. Opening this = fluid to flow. Attach hose to nipple.

Unless you are built like Thinman, I recommend lifting the car off the ground, onto jack stands.

http://images.wrenchead.com/smartpag...C360112-11.jpg
Old 10-07-2014, 12:34 PM

Received 479 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by zippity
Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101' timestamp='1412685640' post='23359609
Any pic of said "bleeder cap"? Does the car need to be lifted to get to this? Thx!
Yep, 4 jack stands placed at the jacking points is the second best method, place something behind the rear wheels so the car doesn't roll backwards(wheel chucks, or anything that will resist rearward motion) then just slip your floor jack under the engine stiffener, being careful that it does not slip from there, then place two jack stands on the reinforced rails right behind the front wheels. Then lower your jack, go to the back and slip your jack under the rear differential drain plug, lift the rear and slip two jack stands in the reinforced rails right in front of the rear wheels. Put a piece of cardboard or something to protect the aluminum diff, the front is very strong and doesn't require such delicacy.

It also doesn't hurt to put something as a failsafe in case the jackstands fail, like the jack itself, or a big block of wood.

Or if you have a mechanic buddy, bribe him into using his lift this would be the best case scenario.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:21 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/993...ravity-method/

Quick Reply: Clutch Help