S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Help

Old 10-02-2014, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Help

Jumped in my S today and had a very tough time getting the gear to go into reverse. Then I noticed it was almost as difficult getting into 1st gear. I thought since it was colder than usual this morning that it was no big deal. On the drive home from work...same thing. I also noticed that the clutch is completely light and doesn't engage until RIGHT before it hits the floor. The clutch didn't show any symptoms of going bad before this day.

Also, when I hit 50,000 miles the car would start popping up a "maint required" light that would flash and then turn off quickly. I figured this was normal just because I hit the "mileage milestone" or is something really wrong with my car and need attention?

Thanks in advanced for all the help.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the reservoir on your clutch master cylinder, if its low then you need to see where its leaking. Either inside down the firewall or from the slave cylinder.

Maint required light is normal. It comes on at certain mileage intervals for oil changes, maybe other scheduled maintenance too not sure. It is just a reminder and doesn't mean anything is wrong.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the reply. I just snapped a couple photos of the clutch master cylinder and it does seem to be very low as you can see in the pics. I guess the bright side is, we found the issue. I do not see any leaks...What kind of oil can I buy to fill this back up? Thanks for the help!

Old 10-02-2014, 11:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Brake fluid goes in there. But it didn't evaporate or burn off, it's leaking somewhere. You likely need a new master cylinder. Very common problem. Most of the fluid is probably in your carpet near the dead pedal.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:50 PM

Received 479 Likes on 391 Posts

My master drained itself, I just bled the system afterwards, and it hasn't done it since. Just a friendly reminder to bleed your brakes and clutch regularly, like once every other year is a good number to prevent any problems from developing. Neglect and abuse are the biggest causes of car problems.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New clutch master cylinder time as said above.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:04 AM

After a quick search, it seems like this is a ~$50 part. Sound right? How much would I be looking at for an installation? I know this varies...just looking for a ball park figure. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:04 AM

Will I need a slave cylinder as well?
Old 10-03-2014, 01:49 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

I recommend that you wipe off the inside of the reservoir, top off and bleed as described by Billman (the thread should be in FAQs). It worked for me.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:16 PM

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,033 Posts

" Thanks for the reply. I just snapped a couple photos of the clutch master cylinder and it does seem to be very low as you can see in the pics. I guess the bright side is, we found the issue. I do not see any leaks...What kind of oil can I buy to fill this back up? Thanks for the help! "

I'd use OEM Honda DOT 3 Brake fluid for the clutch hydraulics. It's also common for the fluid level to drop (sometimes a lot), as the clutch disc wears out. Also, common for the engaging pressure to feel heavier. The pressure plate loses lever angle advantage, as the disc wears out and the fingers in the plate move further forward to meet the disc. Actually, I've had cars where the clutch fluid level drops faster, when disc wears out... than the brake fluid level as the brakes pucks wear out.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-...da+brake+fluid

Quick Reply: Clutch Help