S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Gone?

Old 02-13-2006, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Gone?

Well, let me just say this. Basically, there is a stoplight by my house and there was nobody around (which I've been waiting for a long time) so I rev it up to about 6K and release the clutch I do a pretty decent roasting of the tires through 1st and into 2nd. Luckily my house was within coasting distance of where I did this because when I pull into my driveway the car will not go into any gear. I get out and push the car into the garage. Like I said the car won't go into any gear while the engine is running, when its off it will go into any gear with a little more effort than normal so I decided to put it in 1st with the engine off then start the car, it lunges forward and dies. The Master cylinder and the slave cylinder are operating properly. The best I can think of and hope for is the clutch is done. So what are your opinions and then what clutch kit do you recommend? I will be going turbo here in the next month with around 350whp. I want a clutch kit with obviously the holding capacity but something that is streetable. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-13-2006, 10:29 AM

If you burned the clutch, you'd have no question due to the raunchy smell. Did you pop the clutch, feather it, not completely release (by accident)?
Old 02-13-2006, 10:42 AM

You could smell it! I released it all the way I'm sure of that. I got it towed to the Honda dealership last night so I'll know something as soon as it's taken apart. Are there any good sites that sell Exedy Clutch Kits?
Old 02-13-2006, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hardtop Guy sells a seemingly very nice complete kit for under $1000. It includes a Comptech flywheel, throwout bearing, OEM disc, and ACT preasure plate.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:32 PM

It does sound like you welded the clutch to the flywheel, however there are other possible problems in the clutch system that could stop the clutch from releasing.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RandyP,Feb 13 2006, 05:32 PM
It does sound like you welded the clutch to the flywheel
Are you joking me?
Old 02-13-2006, 07:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by The White Mandingo,Feb 13 2006, 07:30 AM
The Master cylinder and the slave cylinder are operating properly.
On what basis are you making this assessment? Unless you take your master and slave cylinders off the car and checked them for leaks past the seal, you have no idea that they are good or bad.
You claim you roasted your tires, NOT your clutch. If you fried your clutch, it would be slipping like crazy. With a slipping clutch, you would not have much difficulty getting it into any gear, when sitting still, engine running, clutch to the floor. Your symptoms would indicate that your clutch is NOT disengaging at the moment. This points towards a bad master cylinder, a bad slave cylinder, a damaged or broken release fork, a bad connection between the slave cylinder plunger and release fork socket.
Go ahead and change your clutch if that
Old 02-13-2006, 07:35 PM

I agree with xviper.

I had a clutch go and the car would be in gear, but not able to transfer power to the wheels. (looks like you're just reving your engine)
Old 02-13-2006, 07:46 PM

with those two guys.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:32 AM

When I'm disengaging the clutch the shift fork is releasing like it is supposed to. Correct me if I'm wrong but it wouldn't do this if the master or the slave cylinder was inop.

Quick Reply: Clutch Gone?