S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch and gearbox

Old 05-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Gatsbee13

Default Clutch and gearbox

So i woke up this morning to drive to work. My gearbox was not complying. I could move it around but it would not shift into any gears. I had to sort of force it into Reverse. But after i got driving the gearbox sort of returned to its normal function. I also noticed that the clutch pressure is different. This all happened suddenly this morning. Im at lunch right now and i noticed the same thing when i got into my car. Anyone know what this could be? Honda wants $105 for inspection. Should i drive my car? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatsbee13,May 14 2007, 10:42 AM
So i woke up this morning to drive to work. My gearbox was not complying. I could move it around but it would not shift into any gears. I had to sort of force it into Reverse. But after i got driving the gearbox sort of returned to its normal function. I also noticed that the clutch pressure is different. This all happened suddenly this morning. Im at lunch right now and i noticed the same thing when i got into my car. Anyone know what this could be? Honda wants $105 for inspection. Should i drive my car? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Have you been working out furiously? Maybe your muscles are fatigued... Seating position been changed? Sure the girlfriend or wife didn't take it out for a spin?
Old 05-14-2007, 11:03 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatsbee13,May 14 2007, 10:42 AM
most likely,

your clutch master cylinder is dirty and leaking.

do a bleed, and make sure to siphon out all the dirt/grime from the cylinder. worked for me and many others.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would bet on the master cylinder first. Its the cheapest thing to check out. Check the master cylinder for leaks, bleed the slave, etc. You said the clutch pressure has changed, this makes me think of the master/slave cylinders as a first shot at troubleshooting. When was the last time the system was bled? If it was a clutch issue itself it would slip, it wouldn't really keep it from engaging at all (unless its REAL bad).
Old 05-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Gatsbee13

Just took my car to Meineke. They did a visual inspection. There was some fluid leaking by the clutch pedal. They told me it was the Cluth slave cylinder. Honda is selling this piece for around $78. Is it pretty expensive to get the master cylinder replaced? I dont want to do an entire clutch inspection because they would have to take out the transmission. Should i just replace the slave cylinder and if the fluid level goes down again, get a complete inspection. Funny thing. My clutch wasnt acting up yesterday. But it happened all of a sudden this morning. Also, i took it to discount tire center during lunch and the mechanic told me that the fluid level was empty. He put some DOT3 in, but im sure that is going to be gone soon. whats the chances of having a leak in both the master and slave cylinder btw.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gatsbee13,May 14 2007, 12:58 PM
Just took my car to Meineke. They did a visual inspection. There was some fluid leaking by the clutch pedal. They told me it was the Cluth slave cylinder. Honda is selling this piece for around $78. Is it pretty expensive to get the master cylinder replaced? I dont want to do an entire clutch inspection because they would have to take out the transmission. Should i just replace the slave cylinder and if the fluid level goes down again, get a complete inspection. Funny thing. My clutch wasnt acting up yesterday. But it happened all of a sudden this morning. Also, i took it to discount tire center during lunch and the mechanic told me that the fluid level was empty. He put some DOT3 in, but im sure that is going to be gone soon. whats the chances of having a leak in both the master and slave cylinder btw.
if its by the clutch pedal...it is your master cylinder.

you should do what i suggested...

bleed the clutch, clean out the master cylinder reservoir.

fixed my problem and many others as well....
Old 05-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Gatsbee13

yes.. it is the master cylinder.. took my car to the transmission shop.. guy told me hes 100% sure its the master.. he lifted the car and the slave wasnt leaking at all. atleast from what we could see behind the slave cylinder boot. also, there was fluid in my interior.. right by the clutch pedal.. so there has to be a leak. i probably have to change the master cylinder. which is $100.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Gatsbee13,May 14 2007, 01:43 PM
yes.. it is the master cylinder.. took my car to the transmission shop.. guy told me hes 100% sure its the master.. he lifted the car and the slave wasnt leaking at all. atleast from what we could see behind the slave cylinder boot. also, there was fluid in my interior.. right by the clutch pedal.. so there has to be a leak. i probably have to change the master cylinder. which is $100.
dude...

are you going to take advice or just keep going to different mechanics?

before you get a new master...TRY bleeding the clutch and cleaning the master cylinder reservoir...

otherwise, just say you will not take advice and are only asking questions and will have the mechanic fix it regardless.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Gatsbee13

well.. im listening.. but theres fluid in my interior.. right next to the clutch pedal. im absolutely sure its a leak. Does anyone know if its difficult to replace the clutch master cylinder? the piece isnt too big. also, i heard that if you change out a bad master than you most likely have to change the slave due to the pressure of the new one acting on the old slave. heres a pic.

It seems all i have to do is open up the firewall or dash.. whatever you want to call it.. and put this thing on.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:28 PM

dude...

again. YES i am aware that there is a leak.

I, as well as many other s2kers HAVE HAD THIS LEAK...where the clutch pedal is.

MORE OFTEN than not...you can fix it by cleaning the GUNK out of the master reservoir and bleeding your clutch.

that's the last time i will say it, try it or not...or just go ahead and change the master cylinder...whatever man.

Quick Reply: Clutch and gearbox