S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch fluid change...

Old 04-21-2005, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch fluid change...

I thought new fluid/oil should be clear in color, not dark.

Today I brought my car in for a clutch fluid change because the gears get stuck from time to time and require a bit of rev in order to dis-engage smoothly. On my way home, it stuck again! not as bad but enough to make me suspicious, so I popped the hood and checked the smaller cylinder in the driver side upper corner, and the fluid is dark...

Is that normal?
Old 04-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Former Sponsor

The fluid is suppose to be light, not dark. If it is dark, then it prolly wasn't done, or wasn't done right. Are you sure you are looking at the clutch fluid tank and not the brake?
Old 04-21-2005, 03:45 PM

There are only 2 tanks in the upper corner on driver side, I was looking at the smaller one. Would that be it?
Old 04-21-2005, 04:04 PM

yes... the visible one is for the brakes. the smaller filler cap towards the corner of the engine bay is for the clutch
Old 04-21-2005, 06:05 PM

thanks all, i am going back to the dealership first thing tomorrow morning...
Old 04-22-2005, 09:46 AM
VAD

Having to rev to engage/disengage gears is a more a function of the trans fluid, not the clutch fluid.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:13 AM

Well, the trans fluid was changed and didn't do anything to smooth out engage/dis-engage; went back to the dealership, they said that the fluid is dark due to residual dirt, they flushed it again right before my eyes and it cleared the fluid just a little bit more than last week.

But, the gears work better now.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by hecash,Apr 25 2005, 04:01 PM
You may find that it's not dirt but deterioration of the seals in the clutch master cylinder. DOT 3 fluid is pretty aggressive stuff.

I had to replace mine two years ago. The fluid has a black suspension in it that does not easily flow to the bleeder valve located on the slave cylinder.

No matter how often I flushed it the black suspension reappeared. So, we just replace the master and that did the trick.

I now have the black suspension again and am considering another replacement.
The black crud was hard to flush. I resorted to stirring the junk in the reservoir while flushing almost a quart of fluid through the system. BTW, while the fluid may look bad, it's not likely to be the cause of many clutch problems unless there is a leak. Proper greasing of the clutch parts is way more important as far as clutch feel and response.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:32 PM

hecash,
If the seal goes, what would happen with the leakage? And how much does it cost to replace the master cylinder?

Thanks,
Mike W.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by mstw,Apr 21 2005, 07:16 PM
I thought new fluid/oil should be clear in color, not dark.

Today I brought my car in for a clutch fluid change because the gears get stuck from time to time and require a bit of rev in order to dis-engage smoothly. On my way home, it stuck again! not as bad but enough to make me suspicious, so I popped the hood and checked the smaller cylinder in the driver side upper corner, and the fluid is dark...

Is that normal?
I replaced my clutch due to this "sticking". When coasting in first gear at 2000 rpm, I would put the clutch in, and there would be no drop in RPM's down to idle speed until I applied the brake. Revving the engine would also "unstick" the clutch. The result of the clutch change was that the friction disk was just at the wear limit and was ready to be replaced.

Quick Reply: clutch fluid change...