S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch fluid

Old 11-22-2006, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch fluid

During the drive home today from work i felt a little play in my clutch pedal. I almost have to press the clutch all the way down to shift gears. I thought there was a problem with my clutch. But when i pop the hood and open the clutch resevoir cover it was almost bone dry. I bought the s2000 with 41000 miles on it. So my ? is do i use Dot 3 or Dot 4 brake fluid? I have Prestone Synthetic Dot 3 Brake fluid in the garage will this fluid be good? Thanks in advance guys and gals.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:01 PM

That's fine, as DOT 3 or 4 is allowed with the clutch(as long as the fluid is less than a year old). But since you have an almost bone dry system, air in the system is likely, a leak may be possible. Bleed the clutch with new fluid and keep an eye on it. A new clutch master and or slave cylinder may be in your future.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:07 PM

I take that back it was not completely dry,just really low. I didnt have enough light in my garage so i couldnt really see.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by CBSubliminal,Nov 22 2006, 06:07 PM
I take that back it was not completely dry,just really low. I didnt have enough light in my garage so i couldnt really see.
Bleed the system with two bottles of brake fluid and wish for the best. I would hate for you to have to replace your hydraulic clutch system so early. Though other S2K owners have done as much or more before before your mileage.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:31 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

CBSubliminal Posted on Nov 23 2006, 02:49 AM
I have Prestone Synthetic Dot 3 Brake fluid in the garage will this fluid be good?
If it is not a sealed container => do not use it, get some fresh DOT 3 or 4 fluid.
Brake / clutch fluid is hygroscopic (attracts moisture from the air), only when the container is sealed it is ok for storage.

If this drop in level happened suddenly.. you may have a leak somewhere.
Check for leaks IMO.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:35 AM

Received 1,395 Likes on 836 Posts

Take a few pieces of paper towel and clean out the res nice and shiney before you add fluid
Old 11-23-2006, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Nov 23 2006, 02:31 AM
CBSubliminal Posted on Nov 23 2006, 02:49 AM

If it is not a sealed container => do not use it, get some fresh DOT 3 or 4 fluid.
Brake / clutch fluid is hygroscopic (attracts moisture from the air), only when the container is sealed it is ok for storage.

If this drop in level happened suddenly.. you may have a leak somewhere.
Check for leaks IMO.
It wasnt a sudden drop of fluid. I just never really checked the initial level when buying the car. It more likley was low in fluid when i got the car. But i refilled it last night,and my clutch feels normal again. I checked the level and its still at the same level. I test drove it this morning,and checked the resevior and its still at the same level, so there isnt a leak. But i appreciate all of your help guys.Thanks.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:21 AM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

It's a sealed system, the fluid went somewhere. Chances are the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder has a slow leak.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:27 AM

Received 1,395 Likes on 836 Posts

I can almost guarantee it leaked out under the dash, from the back of the master.

In my experience, once you change the fluid, the leak will stop.

The piston is ridng over small grit, allowing small drops of fluid with the grit.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250,Nov 23 2006, 11:27 AM
I can almost guarantee it leaked out under the dash, from the back of the master.

In my experience, once you change the fluid, the leak will stop.

The piston is ridng over small grit, allowing small drops of fluid with the grit.
I think your absolutly right Billman250. While cleaning my interior today and vaccuming the driver side floor i noticed black residue spots on my red floor mat. So i peak under the clutch and rub my finger on the rod that pushes into the clutch/master cylinder i see that there is black fluid more likley dot 3 fluid slowly leaking. So i went to my service manager at Honda where i bought the car used at,and they cannot look at it till Tuesday morining due to the holidays. But im sure my master/clutch cylinder is about shot because of the leaking. I bought the car with a certified warrantly 12 month/12,000 mile non power train warranty and 7 yr/100,000 powertrain warrantly.I am within the 12 month warrantly range still. Im sure they will look at it and determine the leak and will have to replace the master cylinder. This should be covered under warranty right? Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Clutch fluid