S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch feels soft during boosted acceleration

Old 12-07-2015, 07:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Clutch feels soft during boosted acceleration

Hey guys, so something I've noticed is during regular driving, moving, stopped, downshifting etc my clutch pedal feels "regular" but when I do a pull or accelerate under boost my clutch pedal feels softer than normal. Is this normal?

I have already gravity bled the system, I have also removed the slave cylinder and smoothed down the burr on the end as well as greased it all, and pumped the slave cylinder manually by hand to push any air in there up out of the master cylinder reservoir, there are also no leaks.

Your help is appreciated.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:32 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

"Soft" meaning the clutch pedal force or the acceleration? If the acceleration feels like you aren't getting full power to the ground, could be a slipping clutch.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
"Soft" meaning the clutch pedal force or the acceleration? If the acceleration feels like you aren't getting full power to the ground, could be a slipping clutch.
"Soft" as in the pedal feels to go in with less resistance
Old 12-07-2015, 10:33 AM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

From my experience, this issue happens when someone uses antisieze on the throwout bearing and clutch splines. Antisieze is not a lubricant for sliding parts. This sometimes comes as a shock to people who wrench on cars. So much so that some people will refuse to believe you.

I get annoyed when people use anti sieze on clutch parts because I have had to fix a few cars that have been anti siezed.

And/or this can happen if someone doesn't replace the throw out bearing guide sleeve when doing the clutch. The slide wears over time and creates ridges that don't allow smooth movement of the bearing.

When the engine is revved up, the bearing will slide easier because it is vibrating as well as sliding over the guide surface.

Kind of how it is easier to get a "sticking" pin out of a bore if you jiggle it while pulling.

Always replace the $30 guide sleeve when doing a clutch job. Always use Honda urea grease (or another type of very high quality, high temp grease for sliding parts that won't thicken or leave an abrasive substrate behind).
Old 12-07-2015, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
From my experience, this issue happens when someone uses antisieze on the throwout bearing and clutch splines. Antisieze is not a lubricant for sliding parts. This sometimes comes as a shock to people who wrench on cars. So much so that some people will refuse to believe you.

I get annoyed when people use anti sieze on clutch parts because I have had to fix a few cars that have been anti siezed.

And/or this can happen if someone doesn't replace the throw out bearing guide sleeve when doing the clutch. The slide wears over time and creates ridges that don't allow smooth movement of the bearing.

When the engine is revved up, the bearing will slide easier because it is vibrating as well as sliding over the guide surface.

Kind of how it is easier to get a "sticking" pin out of a bore if you jiggle it while pulling.

Always replace the $30 guide sleeve when doing a clutch job. Always use Honda urea grease (or another type of very high quality, high temp grease for sliding parts that won't thicken or leave an abrasive substrate behind).
Hmm, that's a really interesting diagnosis. Other than the "soft" feel during acceleration what would be other symptoms from this?

My normal clutch feel is not hard or stiff or even sticky, it's just different then when under heavy acceleration
Old 12-07-2015, 01:36 PM

That's pretty much the only scenario I can think of. What type of clutch? How old?
Old 12-07-2015, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
That's pretty much the only scenario I can think of. What type of clutch? How old?
It's a Competition Clutch Stage 4 Sprung, and its only been in the car since the end of August
Old 12-07-2015, 04:53 PM

Did you get a new guide sleeve and use the right grease?

Is it a significant decrease in pedal effort?
Old 12-07-2015, 05:06 PM

No I did not get a new guide sleeve, to be honest I didn't really even know about it until you just mentioned it. In the past I have been around B series cars so this is all somewhat new to me.

And I wouldn't say significant, but I'd say noticeable, it's enough that I feel the difference but at the same time question my sanity if it's actually softer haha
Old 12-07-2015, 05:15 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

So, to clarify the issue... shifting at redline --- the clutch action feels lighter. Than, shifting at 5K R's?

What weight and type of oil is in the tranny?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Clutch feels soft during boosted acceleration