S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch feels like it's sticking at the bottom

Old 04-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Clutch feels like it's sticking at the bottom

Hey guys,

I have a 01 w/ 40k miles on the original OEM clutch. Recently, my pedal began feeling quite mushy and it feels like it hangs or gets stuck (kind of lags) at the lowest point - near the floor.

In my feeble attempt to try to rectify this problem, I swapped out the brake/clutch fluid, GMSFM in the tranny, and while I was at it, swapped the year old LE in the rear. BUT, the stickiness still remains. It now sometimes feels like I
Old 04-11-2005, 02:54 PM

This is fixed by greasing the fork. If I wasn't such a lazy bum, I'd search for you...

ah hell, here ya go:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...se%20fork&st=25

Check txst's post about half way down for instructions. Half hour job.

There were even some photo illustrated instructions for how to do this. I'm sure if you search through all the 'sticky clutch' threads it's in there somewhere.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:07 PM

I had this done about 1.5 years ago. Now the groan is back. I guess this is going to be an annual maintenance item.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:11 AM
Banned

Thanks, but I greased the forks last summer during one of our local techdays. While it did cure the squeaky clutch pedal, the problem I'm experiencing now is not exactly identical.

Perhaps I'll go under again and grease it again. Maybe the grease somehow got contaminated.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:26 AM

I had this problem with my old prelude and it turned out I needed a new clutch.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think it is the fork as it is less likely that it would only affect the feel at full stoke.

A possible problem is a build-up of friction material on the throw-out bearing guide which would cause release to be sluggish at full stoke. This could change with temperature, usage, or may not clear until cleaned when the transmission is removed. A lack of lubrication on the input shaft can also impede movement, also requiring tranny removal to rectify.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:53 AM

i had the same problem. i had this problem when i had about 35k miles on my 2001 s2000. Check your master cylinder for the clutch. if its JET BLACK, as mine was, then you will need a new mastercylinder along with new fluid which will make the clutch feel like butter. I had the 7 year 100k warranty and this was all done at HONDA WORLD for free! clutch now feels a lot like the rsx clutch pedal feel.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sanee515,Apr 12 2005, 01:53 PM
Check your master cylinder for the clutch. if its JET BLACK, as mine was, then you will need a new mastercylinder along with new fluid which will make the clutch feel like butter.
The slave cylinder sheds a lot of black particles contaminating the fluid.. when it is black it should be flushed, but that does not necessarily mean any parts need to be replaced.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Banned

Just because it's black does not necessarily mean that you need a new MC. Usually what you'd have to do is to use a turkey baster to drain as much fluid as you possibly can then fill the MC with new fluid. Bleed each corner (starting from the rear first) until everything has been flushed and there are no bubbles. But, if you neglect your car, the particles may eventually cause deterioration to the seal thus warranting a new MC.

I've historically flushed out the fluid from the MC approximately every 10k miles or after a track/autox event. I've also flushed the fluid this past weekend and it was still a pretty blue hue.

I've contacted my local service center and will have them look at it. I just hope they don't try to bend me over because I'm out of warranty.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:02 PM

There have been quite a few threads describing these same symptoms but there's been a variety of problems found to be the cause. I had the sticky, crunchy clutch pedal a while back and the problem turned out to be a leaking slave cylinder. Replaced the cylinder and 20,000+ miles later, still good as new. Others have had success by other means. I'd say the best thing to do is have a good mechanic check all the clutch components to try to pinpoint the cause.

Quick Reply: Clutch feels like it's sticking at the bottom