S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch feels like it's sticking at the bottom

Old 04-13-2005, 05:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up a dozen donuts and a jug o' coffee this morning on my way to Honda. As I chatted with the service manager over a piping hot cup of java, he stated that he's seen this problem before, but not yet on the S2000. He pointed to a white Civic Si on a lift experiencing a similiar problem which was about to have it's guts ripped out to swap the clutch.

I presented him with every possible scenario that could be the root of the problem, and what I've done to try to fix it on my own. He is well aware that I'm a shade-tree mechanic and that I've done all the service myself. He'll start with a MC compression test, the move over to the slave cylinder. While underneath, I've asked him to re-grease the fork as he acknowledged that he'd never thought of this before, and this very well could be the culprit. He also stated that he'll be sending out his mechanic to check the Si before working on the clutch. Heh, who knows, maybe I just saved some lucky Si owner a few bucks
Old 04-13-2005, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem on another car (DelSol) but they were seperate incidents, so you may actually have both things going on at once. The slave cylinder is probably what's causing the the weird hanging feel at the bottom, mine was leaking and had to be replaced but yours just may be bad. As far as the mushy feel, I'm almost 100% positive that is the clutch.

The mush thing was just like you described, still had good lockup, with just a light grind in a couple gears, but then suddenly without warning, it wouldn't get into gear at all, not good if your far from home.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, as we know...there's more than one way to skin a cat. Similarly, there's often more than one possible cause for a particular problem. And that's what can make trouble-shooting such a PITA .

So here's mine...... When I suffered the very same "at-the-bottom" sticking experience with the clutch engagement, I took a PTO day from work, signed a release notice with my local Honda service center, and assisted my trusty Honda technician in pulling down my clutch to see what was what.

So...know what? Ultimately, it was my guide. Poor re-greasing (there's a little groove in the cylinder of the pressure plate) after a prior TSB for the clutch decel buzz allowed the pressure plate to spin with undue friction wearing out the guide you see below. This was replaced (went ahead and replaced the T-O-B & pressure plate at the same time since we were already in there. Anyway...this could well be your "sticky pedal"