S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch is driving me CRAZY!

Old 01-10-2009, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Clutch is driving me CRAZY!

Ok. I replaced my clutch with an F1 Racing stage one (blue) a few months ago. It's been broken in. Over 1,000 miles on it. When it was cold it would CONSTANTLY squeal like mad. It would get better when it was warm, but it was REALLY bad. I'd get the goofiest looks when it would do it. Doesn't seem normal. I know there's plenty of talk about them doing it, but this REALLY seems excessive.

So today I figured it HAS to be the hydraulic clutch system. The clutch started to grab and the drive train started ton turn VERY far into the travel of the pedal towards the rear of the car. And usually there's a LITTLE play in that to allow for you to smoothly start off. Since I changed it, this has not been the case. REALLY hard to drive and especially when rollin' around town.

So I cleaned the fluid (removed ALL of the old and replaced with new) which turned out to be really bad. I hadn't realized it was getting that crappy! Now I know to pay closer attention to it!

Anyway... had my friend help me bleed it out. Clean fluid. No air bubbles. Used the thread I found on here explaining how to do it, even though I'm familiar with how to bleed brakes.

Now the pedal feels REALLY soft, and there seems to be even LESS play before the thing in engages. Kept spinning the tires in reverse when leaving the garage for a test drive!

The fluid is clean, full, and things LOOK right.

Could it be the plunger that operates the clutch fork? Is something maybe wrong there? I'm willing to come to you so you can look. I'm near Marysville. HELP!!!

Old 01-10-2009, 01:58 PM

Well, you're lookin', but not answerin'! lol

I drove it some more around the hood... hit the highway, and it seems like its a lot better. I'm going to let it cool off and then take it back out cold to see if I still have the squeaking issue. I need to know more about adjusting the pedal, though. Is there anyone that has done it and knows what I SHOULD be doing before I go after it and screw something up?

Thank!
Old 01-10-2009, 03:38 PM

You the guy at Beale? Wish I still lived there. I just moved. I could of fixed it for you
Old 01-10-2009, 03:42 PM

I'm close. Not Air Force! lol I was Army! Plumas Lake.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:40 PM

Ok, bringing this back. Have no IDEA AT ALL what the hell the problem is. I've done everything but yank the damn thing back out. Anyone have any ideas where, or what I should look at?
Old 05-03-2009, 05:47 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You bought the wrong clutch if your car is not putting down more than 300whp.

I've seen this several times. An owner buys a 4 or 6 puck clutch designed for a turbo or SC car that has 50% more torque than their stock or bolt on NA car. It makes the car undrivable.

So you can either do that turbo kit now that your clutch is ready for it...or get rid of the 6-puck clutch you have and get the stock clutch, which is the best clutch you can get for an NA car (OEM is an Exedy clutch).
Old 05-03-2009, 08:45 AM

You have a good link for the Exedy? And thanks a TON for the input. Kinda was starting to wonder!
Old 05-03-2009, 09:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by negcamber,May 3 2009, 05:47 AM
You bought the wrong clutch if your car is not putting down more than 300whp.

I've seen this several times. An owner buys a 4 or 6 puck clutch designed for a turbo or SC car that has 50% more torque than their stock or bolt on NA car. It makes the car undrivable.

So you can either do that turbo kit now that your clutch is ready for it...or get rid of the 6-puck clutch you have and get the stock clutch, which is the best clutch you can get for an NA car (OEM is an Exedy clutch).
He has a full disc, not 6 puck..

F1 seems like a crap brand, should have went with something tried & true

My brand name aftermarket clutches have always made a little noise.. even using OEM TOB's. Not very loud though, and it seemed to get better with time. Did you grease the TOB at all?
Old 05-03-2009, 10:46 AM

I did. Not too much. Didn't want the grease flying off at high RPM and getting on the clutch or flywheel. F1 seemed pretty high quality, but as of now? ... Not too sure. Looked like a well built clutch when I got /inspected it. Where's a good link for a good price on a new clutch for a stock motor?
Old 05-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Haulin' S,May 3 2009, 11:45 AM
You have a good link for the Exedy? And thanks a TON for the input. Kinda was starting to wonder!
http://hardtopguy.com/store/home.php

Quick Reply: Clutch is driving me CRAZY!