S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch delay valve or just a slipping clutch?

Old 08-15-2011, 07:52 AM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch delay valve or just a slipping clutch?

I have noticed recently when I am driving hard that I sometimes have problems with my clutch engagement on hard upshifts. I don't know whether it's just a worn clutch or the CDV at this point. I rarely noticed the CDV in the past but I've been getting more and more comfortable with spirited driving in my car so it could just be that I'm driving to the point where it becomes apparent.

Here's an example of what happened just yesterday:

In 2nd gear @ WOT, upshift to 3rd at somewhere over 8k (I'm reflashed for 8500 redline) and back to WOT--the tach continued to do its red blinking crap at >8k for a full one or two seconds and the car didn't keep accelerating. I let off the gas for a split second then floored it again and it went just fine.

I was on a cruise yesterday for a good 2 hours with a couple of friends and this happened early on so I tried to see if it would do it again. I noticed if I just shifted a bit slower I never had a problem at all. The car pulls fine to redline as well. I've had the issue only on upshifts at WOT and it's only been a handful of times so far.

I ordered an AP1 slave cylinder today and I will replace that first to see. Just looking for opinions at this point. The car has 74k on it now and as far as I know the clutch could still be original. I bought the car at 60k so that is an unknown.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:53 AM

If you dont let your clutch out fast enough you will get that slipping feeling. There is a way to beat the CDV, just modify your driving. Trust me on this one, the CDV isnt a problem. No need to modify the car.

Edit: after looking at the kilometers on the car, the clutch could possibly be going.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Any effects caused by the CDV are going to be very brief (tiny fractions of a second). Any significant slip is going to be the result of the clutch's inability to hold the power. For an AP2, the causes of this can be twofold. The first is the very heavy flywheel. The second is that your clutch might actually be going bad. When you do change out the clutch, swap in an AP1 flywheel and you'll be much happier.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Syn

I do plan on swapping to an AP1 flywheel whenever I change the clutch. I didn't think about the flywheel being a part of this particular issue but it makes sense.

I am going to put in the AP1 slave cylinder once it comes in and I'll just have to see what happens. I already ordered it and it's something I'd wanted to do anyways so it's definitely going on the car. I'm skeptical about the clutch being worn because I can't seem to get it to slip under any other circumstances at all. However if it really is at 74k miles I can see it being time.

Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CDV is shit. Got my AP2 with 19k on it and the clutch would slip on every hard up shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Took the CDV out and haven't had any slippage at all for the past 25k.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:18 PM

this happens on my AP2 as well. exact same thing as original poster. my car has 3k miles on it. hard redline upshifts result in a nice looong delay of the power getting to the wheels. it is very very annoying. and changing driving style, that's not an option for spirited driving, that's the nature of spirited driving. never had this happen before in any of my other manual transmission cars. ugh. seems like everyone is agreed that it is the OEM clutch / flywheel setup and NOT the CDV? i will talk to the dealer next oil change and complain bitterly. but from what i have read, it seems that a stronger PP and lighter flywheel are the answer and that it is not the cdv ... ?
Old 08-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Banned

EDIT: re-phrased to be more clear.

Do a solid WOT pull in 3rd. If it slips, it's bad. 3rd and 4th gear are always the gear where you'll notice slipping 1st.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:46 PM

Vactor, for you it is the CDV. Altering your driving style will get rid of it. Yes, even in spirited driving. I will post a video of me on the track in my close to stock s2000 shifting very fast, no CDV issues.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CDV FTL!!! I've removed a handful of them and every s2k owner is so much happier with their S2000. They all called or txt'd afterwards and told me that they feel more connected to their S. As much I am of a believer of the phrase "It's on there for a reason", sadly the CDV is more of a thorn in my side then anything else. I just removed the thorn and feel so much better.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:18 AM

What differentiates a slave cylinder with CDV to one without it? I have an AP1 but I swear I get the same kind of delay/slip sometimes at WOT on 1-3 gear upshifts. The original owner of my car was a fanatic and it's possible that he could have changed my car to an AP2 slave cylinder since the CDV was intended to prevent the differential from exploding on hard shifts.

Quick Reply: Clutch delay valve or just a slipping clutch?