S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch delay valve or clutch slip

Old 04-17-2008, 04:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Apr 17 2008, 09:44 AM
Its not the CDV, and it is clutch slip. The CDV regulates clutch engagement speed, but the clutch slip occurs because the pressure plate is not strong enough to sieze the clutch disc and flywheel, since in 2004 Honda put in a flywheel that is twice as heavy as the previous one, but did nothing to improve the pp's ability to deal with the extera inertia.

Get a lighter flywheel, or a stronger pp, or both, to improve the engagement. A stronger pp is the best route to go imo.

All the CDV does is prevent driveline shock, which is helpful on clutch dumps as well as normal shifting when driviung as it helps prevent a bad shift from upsetting the car balance.
dude, just to note. i was talking about 8000 kms of drive with a new bone stock car. not even an air intake change. personally the CDV explanation makes alot more sense than clutch slip from a car barely out of the showrooms. Think alot of folks would be arranging lawsuits against Honda if they had a slippy clutch on a new car.

What exactly does the CDV do to reduce the driveline shock? Considering I have only experienced this at redline shifting, it seems much more likely that it is CDV. Frankly i think i'm fine with my shifting and it won't upset much balance, rather having something induce some "slip" when I need a quick sharp engagement really throws me a curve ball.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by passmans2kny,Apr 17 2008, 09:44 AM
remove it
Thanks for the advice. I am wondering if there are any long term effects from doing it?
Old 04-17-2008, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cancer
Old 04-17-2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by INTJ,Apr 17 2008, 06:46 PM
cancer
u don't say.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

AP1s don't have it.. and they aren't falling apart
Old 04-18-2008, 12:52 AM

I'm leaning CDV. I was always skeptical of that mod, but someone in my area was offering to do it for free (thanks kix), so I did it. Before, when doing fast redline shifts (normally you wait for the rpm's to drop a little, right?), I felt like the clutch was slipping, and I figured since I got my car used, the previous owner was just a boob who nuked my clutch.

Yeah...well I did the cdv mod, and that issue was no longer a problem. I'm a believer in the mod now. Do it.

Post-mod, missing your shift points is a little less forgiving though, in the sense that now it will really grab on, and you'll chirp. I don't know, maybe that's a non-issue, but to me I feel like I'm just unnecessarily shocking the drivetrain. Before, I could be off my rev match a bit, and since the CDV was slowly releasing the clutch, it wouldn't really do anything (which is both good and bad). So make sure you got your shifting points down. Some people actually report the clutch wearing out sooner with the CDV removed, but I suspect that's because they may not have had their shift points down solid before doing the mod. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents, maybe someone with intimate knowledge will chime in.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm
Old 04-18-2008, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by vtec9,Apr 17 2008, 08:28 PM
AP1s don't have it.. and they aren't falling apart
true...true...
Old 04-18-2008, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by passmans2kny,Apr 17 2008, 09:44 AM
remove it
hi..any tips on how to get it done?
Old 04-18-2008, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by moogleii,Apr 18 2008, 12:52 AM
I'm leaning CDV. I was always skeptical of that mod, but someone in my area was offering to do it for free (thanks kix), so I did it. Before, when doing fast redline shifts (normally you wait for the rpm's to drop a little, right?), I felt like the clutch was slipping, and I figured since I got my car used, the previous owner was just a boob who nuked my clutch.

Yeah...well I did the cdv mod, and that issue was no longer a problem. I'm a believer in the mod now. Do it.

Post-mod, missing your shift points is a little less forgiving though, in the sense that now it will really grab on, and you'll chirp. I don't know, maybe that's a non-issue, but to me I feel like I'm just unnecessarily shocking the drivetrain. Before, I could be off my rev match a bit, and since the CDV was slowly releasing the clutch, it wouldn't really do anything (which is both good and bad). So make sure you got your shifting points down. Some people actually report the clutch wearing out sooner with the CDV removed, but I suspect that's because they may not have had their shift points down solid before doing the mod. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents, maybe someone with intimate knowledge will chime in.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm
hi...would like to chk how long u've been CDV less. Is yours an AP2?

btw wats the work involved then?

i would prefer to have full control without the CDV, if it chirps then i gotta learn my shifting properly.

thank you for your info.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:30 AM

seearch CDV removal, theres a few DIY on here

Quick Reply: clutch delay valve or clutch slip