S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch delay

Old 12-05-2010, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch delay

i own a turbo charge 06 s2k with a stage 3 clutch master. the clutch is new. it makes 410whp. i have a problem when i shift real fast at high RPM. my car seems to hesitate or delay before it engage. feels like the RPM drops real low. cant even chirp from 1st to 2nd. its not because i'm shifting slow, i'm actually shifting really fast. think the problem is the CDV. whats do you guys think the best way to remove this? should i just swap to an 03 ap1 slave cylinder? any other advise? thanks
Old 12-05-2010, 06:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Given that your clutch is plenty strong enough to hold the load, I would say that the only thing left to blame is the CDV. The issue with stock AP2s is two fold. First that the flywheel is too heavy for the pressure plate. Secondly that the CDV softens hard shifts. The net effect is that you get a "floaty" feel to high rpm powershifts in this car.

Even if youre still running the stock AP2 flywheel, that clutch should have no problem holding it. I'm going to have to blame the CDV on this one.

Just as a warning, if you feel the need to take the CDV off, prepare to put your differential in grave danger at these power levels. Sure, you'll probably be "ok" for a while, but drive it too hard too often without a CDV and it's days are numbered.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:23 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

How to remove delay:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=275175
Old 12-05-2010, 07:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have the stock slave cylinder or have you removed it already for the '03 slave cylinder?

It could also very well be your pressure plate holding you back if you're making that type of power.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Rubn1out4GudLuk,Dec 5 2010, 08:40 AM
Do you have the stock slave cylinder or have you removed it already for the '03 slave cylinder?

It could also very well be your pressure plate holding you back if you're making that type of power.
i replace to stock slave cylinder with the 03. it now feels a little more responsive but it still has the same problem. my clutch has a heavy duty pressure plate
Old 12-05-2010, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250,Dec 5 2010, 07:23 AM
thank you billman
Old 12-06-2010, 07:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neoleooo,Dec 5 2010, 10:15 AM
i replace to stock slave cylinder with the 03. it now feels a little more responsive but it still has the same problem. my clutch has a heavy duty pressure plate
In that case I'm out of suggestions...

Perhaps you should record it on video and post it up or have a friend(that knows a little about cars) drive it.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:12 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

If the RPM drop "real low" when you shift, you're not shifting correctly. RPM will drop when everything is engaging properly and you don't counter with gas, but would rise if there was slip caused by the pp or CDV. Give it more gas during the shift.

If you have a firmer pressure plate, you can try removing the CDV, but the "real low" description is a little confusing. How long have you had the S2000, how long has it be FI, and how long have you been driving stick?
Old 12-06-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Dec 6 2010, 12:12 PM
If the RPM drop "real low" when you shift, you're not shifting correctly. RPM will drop when everything is engaging properly and you don't counter with gas, but would rise if there was slip caused by the pp or CDV. Give it more gas during the shift.

If you have a firmer pressure plate, you can try removing the CDV, but the "real low" description is a little confusing. How long have you had the S2000, how long has it be FI, and how long have you been driving stick?
its actually alot better when i change the slave cylinder. had the s2k with the turbo for 3 months now. had my friend test it out and he felt the lag when he shift real fast at high RPM. we think the problem is the boost lag. the turbo is not holding boost when we shift hard causing the delay. what do you guys think?
Old 12-06-2010, 06:23 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Get rid of the delay valve AND the AP2 flywheel if you want the rpms to fall fast and have nice clean shifts with no slipping.

I noted today the ap1 and ap2 slave cyls are the same bore size. We all know the ap2 is aluminum, but the PISTON is aluminum also.

AP1 is a steel cylinder with a steel piston. AP2s definitely keep the clutch fluid cleaner, I think this is the reason.

I will likely put the ap2 slave (delay removed) in my car for this reason. Good weight reduction too

Quick Reply: clutch delay