S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch buzz on start up

Old 02-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Yup that is defnitely the starter sticking. I have the same thing. Very common issue. I don't worry about it. Will fix it when I do a clutch job eventually.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like at least some of the people posting here may be having the problem with the timing chain tensioner, which is often confused with starter issues, and sometimes even clutch issues. I have seen a number of other threads where people are complaing of similar sounds and it turned out to ultimately be the tensioner, not clutch or starter. The faulty tensioner is a very common and can be identified by a buzzing noise (like playing card in bike spokes) upon pressing start button and lasts only a second or so. It usually only happens on cold/very cold mornings or at other times on cold days when the car has not been used in a while.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:10 AM

Billman250 has responded to a bunch of similar questions on similar noises. I think he is something of an expert on the different starter related noises, and pretty much every other aspect of the car as he works on them alot. The only reason I mention is that I think if you let this go it could potentially lead to a pretty bad result. Not defitiely, but maybe...
Old 02-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Community Organizer

Received 553 Likes on 505 Posts

^^^ thanks for the tips!

I think some of us are experiencing more of a fast sreaching sound rather then a rattle or ticking assoiciated with a floppy chain. I think the confusing part is that both the TDC and starter gear act up withen the same conditions ( like first cold start of the day). Someone mentioned slow soliniod response for the starter gear when cold which seems very likley to me, and then the TDC I know loses its oil prime overnight from bad seals or piston and takes a few revolutions before it gains it back to create pressure back on the chain. I'm sure one sounds pretty different from the other. Be great if it was possible to get a decent quality audio track of each.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:26 AM

Definitely agreed on the audio tracks. I have heard an ok quality audio on the tensioner. It would be great to hear a really good quality of both sounds to compare.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by JMWulff,Feb 3 2009, 12:10 PM
Billman250 has responded to a bunch of similar questions on similar noises. I think he is something of an expert on the different starter related noises, and pretty much every other aspect of the car as he works on them alot. The only reason I mention is that I think if you let this go it could potentially lead to a pretty bad result. Not defitiely, but maybe...
ive been hearing this sound for about 10k miles, so if it were something serious id of found out by now lol knock on wood. ill try again tomorrow morning to get a sound clip
Old 02-03-2009, 02:27 PM

If you have more of the screaching noise then the fast metalic grinding noise it sounds like it could be a different issue. I was more thinking of the guy above who said he heard a grinding type noise that could have come from the starter (which I figured could actually be related to the tensioner). On the tensioner chain problem it seems that it starts making noise when the temp is below 35F or so. Since it looks like you are in Florida it sounds like it could be something different.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:43 PM

ill try again tomorrow morning too see if i can get a sound clip
Old 02-03-2009, 07:50 PM

Its the starter sticking for a few seconds. when my car was at honda for servicing they had to start it first thing in the morning and it had that quick grinding sound as usual, the tech without hesitation said "your starters sticking". he then proceded to mention its fairly common (as we can see from response from this thread) and said its not really anything to worry about. its just the starter staying engaged a second too long.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Community Organizer

Received 553 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by bradskee,Feb 3 2009, 08:50 PM
Its the starter sticking for a few seconds. when my car was at honda for servicing they had to start it first thing in the morning and it had that quick grinding sound as usual, the tech without hesitation said "your starters sticking". he then proceded to mention its fairly common (as we can see from response from this thread) and said its not really anything to worry about. its just the starter staying engaged a second too long.
Good to know, thanks for the feedback

Quick Reply: clutch buzz on start up