S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch buzz after new clutch..

Old 07-01-2009, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch buzz after new clutch..

I tried before.. but didn't get a clear enough answer so I will try again.

I had my clutch replaced to ACT street clutch kit and flywheel, thinking my clutch buzz will go off.
But it still remains..

When I first got my car used from a dealership (Toyota dealer), I asked the guy about the sound and he told me that it was just normal for the s2ks. Being too annoyed with the sound, I took the car to Honda dealership which is affliated with same owner. They test drove my car and told me that the gear box was broken. Because I had my 30 days warranty they told me that they would fix it for me. After a week I called Honda and they told me Toyota took the car from them to fix it. so I picked up my car from toyota. but it still had the buzzing noise when decelerating.
After a month I replaced my clutch and flywheel... and I still have the noise....

I have heard that ACT street clutches are know for their quietness.. if by any chance my gear box was broken and toyota didn;t replace it, would it still be drivable?/ and can it cause a noise similar to a clutch buzz? The car runs fine but I am getting really annoyed by the noise..

I don;t have anyone near me who has a s2k, so I can;t even listen to how other s2k sounds like.

What could be my best option to do? go back to Honda dealer and get checked? anyone please help me with this rear buzz!!!!
Old 07-01-2009, 07:48 PM

I would take it back and ask them to have another look... the buzz is from the 1st or 2nd gear in the gearbox vibrating which is isolated by the springs in the clutch (from what I understand from the factory notes)... I think you can get the 1st thing swapped (for earlier AP1 models) but usually a new clutch with different springs usually fixes the problem...

not 100% so wait for someone to back me up or shoot me down lol
Old 07-01-2009, 08:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No you get the buzz in every gear. At least in my case.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:09 PM

yea.. i get buzz in every gear. 1st and 2nd is usually louder than the 3rd.. 4th and 5th is quieter but I can still hear the buzz.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:59 AM

I get mad buzz in every gear. I think it sounds awesome and adds to the character of the car, but I can see how it can get very annoying. AP2 trannies don't exhibit such noise, plus they have better synchros so an upgrade down the road would eliminate the noise.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:19 AM

i have an almost identical setup.

i am also using the act pp and clutch disk mated to a lightweight flywheel.

i have a lot of buzz. ive gotten used to it, there isnt anything wrong with your gearbox-unless you are exhibiting issues with shifting, grinding, etc.

if the only problems/issues you are experiencing is with the 'clutch buzz' then the clutch install was completed correctly. however if you are experience any type of clutch disk chatter or is extremely difficult to engage the transmission in gear while the clutch is depressed then the clutch install is incorrect.

but it sounds a lot like the install went fine and the only issue is clutch buzz. i know there isnt any really good documented noise on the forum but it is the noise you hear upon deceleration when left in gear. the moment you push in the clutch the noise should disappear. that is clutch buzz.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:58 AM

thanks for all your help.
If its just clutch buzz then I think I will have to get used to the annoying noise.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Put a OEM clutch disc in it and the buzz will go away.

The older ACT disc's were OEM, and quiet. The later ones are not. The HTG ACT clutch kit came with a OEM disc and was quiet.