S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch burning smell/ cracking when car is off

Old 10-19-2013, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch burning smell/ cracking when car is off

So yesterday I was doing some Spirited driving and dropped the clutch while starting. There was an instant burning smell. When i got home and parked I noticed a crackling sound coming from under the car. The clutch feels fine while driving but there is a definite burning smell while setting off in first. Is the clutch gone? If so how long do i have before it goes completly? When I do replace it what is the best cost/performance clutch kit i can get?
Old 10-19-2013, 04:31 PM

The crackling sound might be the car cooling down. You will smell clutch if you launch so don't. Look out for slippage maybe start off in 3rd see if if slips. @ 100k you might. If you need to replace try oem disk, ACT pp & flywheel. And don't launch it could cost you a diff good luck
Old 10-20-2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by jimi
The crackling sound might be the car cooling down. You will smell clutch if you launch so don't. Look out for slippage maybe start off in 3rd see if if slips. @ 100k you might. If you need to replace try oem disk, ACT pp & flywheel. And don't launch it could cost you a diff good luck
Don't try starting off in thrd gear, the normal test for a clutch is applying full throttle in the highest gear (6th in this case), with the clutch fully engaged (foot off the clutch), preferably while going up a hill. If the engine RPM rises faster than the car accelerates, then the clutch is slipping and should be replaced.
With the S2000, you might have to do the test in a lower gear since the engine doesn't have much torque at low RPM's and to be in power band in top gear you would be going pretty fast, but doing it on a hill helps equalize things out.

High pressure clutches are not needed on stock horsepower S2000's and if you use them you run the risk of damaging the thrust bearing and destroying the engine (search for Billman's notes). Re clutch abuse and smell, after abuse the clutch will normally smell for a whle, but should not continue to smell days later upon gentle engagement unless it is slipping anew. Think of a clutch like brake pads, they have certain thickness and continut to work until worn out (friction material gone), but do smell if abused by slippage. Cars can be driven for long periods with worn out clutches if driven gently xince the clutch still transmits torque, but only up to a particular level, but there is a risk of gooving the flywheel and pressure plate from the rivets as it wears further.

Here is some additional technical info on S2000 clutches on a great website:

https://www.s2ki.com/home/2012/03/03...ain/#more-4877
Old 10-20-2013, 03:27 PM

The cracking and popping, and smell, is likely a dying catalytic converter. First, remove the outer heat shield/shell from the converter. Then, run the car hard under load (top gear, lugging it into VTEC on the freeway for a few pulls), then look under the car and see if the cat is glowing red or radiating tons of heat off itself. If so, you've found your issue ...