S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch bleeding problem - solved

Old 12-24-2014, 10:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default clutch bleeding problem - solved

I dropped transmission for clutch job, and the slave cylinder rod pulled out when I was taking off. After the job, I tried to push that in, and the rod was very stiff and wasn't able to push that in.
I opened the valve, and let the brake fluid out so that I can push the push rod in to install the slave cylinder onto the tranny case, then closed the valve.

Weird thing is, I opened the valve about one turn again after everything is done to bleed the air and brake fluid, but nothing happened.
No single drop of brake fluid came out of the bleeder valve. So I opened the valve like three to four turns until the valve is very loose from the cylinder, nothing came out.
I did this gravity method lots of times before, so I well know of it. I opened the reservoir cap. It did work perfect for me so far. The clutch is now engaging very bottom, and it feels very funny.

Anyone has experienced this before? I let the valve open for an hour and watched it and cannot bleed any fluid or air out of the valve at all.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Is the actuating rod all the way into the slave cylinder? This could be blocking the flow of fluid into the slave. Maybe, try pulling the rod out of the slave a bit and see if the fluid will pass.

BTW... Merry XMAS!

Old 12-25-2014, 12:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like air is trapped somewhere in the system. Make sure when gravity bleeding the system, someone else in constantly filling the reservoir . It can be done by yourself, but just two people make it a lot easier. Just keep doing it till all the bubbles are gone. You may have to put some teflon tape on the bleeder threads so that it doesn't introduce air from the threads. Sometimes when I finish gravity bleeding mine, I may have to 'flick' the pedal a few times with the bleeder valve closed for it to build good pressure. Usually a new clutch will engage at the bottom of the pedal travel. Maybe also look into adjusting the master cylinder rod. Hope this helps.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More than likely you have a bunch of air..If it was me I would bleed it the old fashioned way until you get fluid coming out. Then gravity bleed them.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:28 PM

I would adjust the pushrod out until you can't compress the slave cylinder at all by hand under the car. Then, back it off just a little until you can compress it again. That ensures that you get reservoir fluid on each pump.

After that, I would just suck all of the old fluid out, add clean fluid, pump pedal a bunch of times, repeat. I usually do it two or three times or until fluid stays clean after pumping. You should also notice the clutch pedal feel become very very direct.

The first time I did that method the clutch feel went from shit to amazing. It has always been amazing afterwards as well using that method.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would adjust the pushrod out until you can't compress the slave cylinder at all by hand under the car. Then, back it off just a little until you can compress it again. That ensures that you get reservoir fluid on each pump.
Yeah, problem is, I cannot compress the slave cylinder at all if the bleeder valve is closed. It is just weird that fluid just doesn't want to flow back, and I can't push the rod in whatever hard I push the rod in... I use the same method as you do, and I have been ok, but it is weird this time.

More than likely you have a bunch of air..If it was me I would bleed it the old fashioned way until you get fluid coming out. Then gravity bleed them.
Yeah there are a lot of air in the system now. and they just stuck inside. The old fashioned way is two people method? one press down the pedal and the other open the valve? I'll try.. Thank you

Is the actuating rod all the way into the slave cylinder? This could be blocking the flow of fluid into the slave. Maybe, try pulling the rod out of the slave a bit and see if the fluid will pass.
Either the rod is in or out of the cylinder, it doesn't bleed.

Ok, I got a small syringe today, and I'll try this to suck out the fluids from the slave cylinder bleeder.
Wish me luck guys. it's getting frustrating now.

Thanks for the inputs, and hope everyone have a merry Christmas and Happy new year
Old 12-26-2014, 06:16 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

You might want to consider getting a brake bleed kit. Just a thought.

Good luck with the clutch hydraulics.

http://www.amazon.com/JEGS-Performan...er+vacuum+pump
Old 12-26-2014, 08:03 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003AP1
This. And yes, old fashioned way is several pumps, hold, someone loosens bleeder, wait, close bleeder, let out clutch. Repeat.

Don't pump too fast. Don't want that air agitated into lots o' bubbles.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:39 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

And you only crack the bleeder open for about a second.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by tbpom1003
Yeah, problem is, I cannot compress the slave cylinder at all if the bleeder valve is closed. It is just weird that fluid just doesn't want to flow back, and I can't push the rod in whatever hard I push the rod in... I use the same method as you do, and I have been ok, but it is weird this time.
And you have adjusted the clutch pedal rod until the rod is as short as possible IE so it pulls the piston in the MC as far towards the firewall as possible?

Quick Reply: clutch bleeding problem - solved