S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch bearings or Trans bearings?

Old 12-28-2014, 02:42 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Clutch bearings or Trans bearings?

(I have a 05 with ~80k miles on it)

To give a little background: my clutch and trans were great until a mishap at the dragon a couple of years ago. Basically the car got beached/high centered on a rock (on the baseball field at Fontana for anyone familiar) and that twisted my transmission mount out of shape.

Immediately after that my car was making a terrible grinding noise because the motor/trans/prop/etc wasn't aligned properly (when in gear & out of gear, clutch in & clutch out). With the great help of Billman250 and myflys2k they 'adjusted' (aka hammered) the mount until everything was back to normal.

When I got back home I got another transmission mount and swapped it over and since then everything has been back to normal except for a slight whirring sound when I'm in the neutral with my foot off the clutch. If I press the clutch in then you can hear the whirring slow down and then come to a stop.

So my question is: What's making the noise? Is it the clutch release bearing or something in the tranny?
Old 12-28-2014, 07:14 PM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Probably an input shaft bearing or something inside the trans. When you push the clutch in, the input shaft will slowly begin to decelerate and then stop spinning.

The throw out bearing is always spinning at the same speed as the engine regardless of whether you're pushing on the pedal or not. The only difference for it would be that when you push your foot on the pedal, the pressure put on the bearing will increase.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Probably an input shaft bearing or something inside the trans. When you push the clutch in, the input shaft will slowly begin to decelerate and then stop spinning.

The throw out bearing is always spinning at the same speed as the engine regardless of whether you're pushing on the pedal or not. The only difference for it would be that when you push your foot on the pedal, the pressure put on the bearing will increase.
I'm going to have to disagree. Even with the clutch disengaged (pedal depressed), the input shaft on the tranny is still spinning in neutral as the clutch doesn't truly and fully disengage.

I can almost guarantee it is the throwout bearing causing the noise. The bearing with no load on it, has a lot more free play within the races so it makes more of a whirring noise. When the pedal is depressed and a load is pulled on the bearing, it quiets down because there is a load on the bearing races eliminating the slop/free play. I've seen this non-issue a thousand times and as long as the bearing was greased properly with Honda grease and it is an OEM Honda bearing, you shouldn't have any real issues for some time.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:30 AM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

OP says that the noise gradually comes down after he has his foot on the clutch. That sounds like an input shaft spinning down to a stop...or an almost stop.

If he wants to experiment, he can push the clutch in and immediately put it in any gear. If the whirring noise stops abruptly as he puts it in gear vs. gradually in neutral....then its something to do with a trans bearing.