S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch adjustment

Old 08-23-2004, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clutch adjustment

Can the clutch be adjusted on the S2000? The service advisor at one of the Dealers is telling me that the S2000 has a hydraulic clutch therefor it cannot be adjusted. My clutch pedal feels kinda loose.

When I press in the pedal it doesn't feel stiff. I had the diff, tranny and clutch fluid changed. The car shifts really smoothly
Old 08-23-2004, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i do not know how much the clutch can REALLY be adjusted for tightness etc but i think that the clutch travel can be adjusted like the engagment point or something. MAybe it could be tightened up so it doesnt feel so look. Just go to dealer and ask them to do someting about it if they can.
the clutch can be adjusted but only to a degree. but im not an expert im just telling you stuff i read on this site
Old 08-23-2004, 12:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is a hydraulic unit, but the pedal can be adjusted and it can make a notable difference in engagement.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by cdelena,Aug 23 2004, 12:04 PM
It is a hydraulic unit, but the pedal can be adjusted and it can make a notable difference in engagement.
That's exactly what I was looking for. When i called the dealer, i should have asked how much they charge to "adjust the clutch pedal".

I learned something new today. I need to get my clutch pedal adjusted. Anyhow, they quoted me $95.00 dollars to adjust the clutch pedal. Is that reasonable? I wonder how long it takes.

Old 08-23-2004, 12:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Adjusting the pedal will only adjust the point at which the clutch begins to engage. If this is what you want, then why not do it yourself?
You must crawl under the driver's footwell with a flashlight. Look near the clutch pedal pivot point and you'll see a rod that goes into the firewall. You'll also see a locknut at the pedal end of that rod. Undo the locknut and grab the rod with your fingers. Rotate the rod no more than about one turn, lock it back up and go for a short test drive to see how the engagement point has changed. You will discover that you either turned the rod in the wrong direction or you'll need to continue turning the rod in the same direction to get to your desired clutch action.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:11 PM
Former Sponsor

If you do adjust the pedal, make sure you leave some amount of free play in the pedal or you can wear out your throwout bearing and possibly even your clutch disk. The free play will be at the very top of the pedal stroke before you feel it engage the master cylinder. You should be able to push the clutch pedal in about 1" before you feel it engage the master cylinder. Shortly after the master cylinder is engaged, the clutch will disengage.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Aug 23 2004, 12:28 PM
Adjusting the pedal will only adjust the point at which the clutch begins to engage. If this is what you want, then why not do it yourself?
You must crawl under the driver's footwell with a flashlight. Look near the clutch pedal pivot point and you'll see a rod that goes into the firewall. You'll also see a locknut at the pedal end of that rod. Undo the locknut and grab the rod with your fingers. Rotate the rod no more than about one turn, lock it back up and go for a short test drive to see how the engagement point has changed. You will discover that you either turned the rod in the wrong direction or you'll need to continue turning the rod in the same direction to get to your desired clutch action.
do you have any pics?

is this a preference thing? How will i know if I found my desired clutch action? Does everybody have their own preference or there a range that i want to tighten it too.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:18 PM
Former Sponsor

There is a diagram in the Helm's manual. As far as your preference, only you will know. When I got my S2000, there was about 2" of free play in the pedal, and the clutch wouldn't disengage until close to the floor. This meant that I had to be really carefull with my shifting to avoid grinds. I noticed that my friend's '02 had about half the free play, and disengaged much higher in the pedal stroke, so I played with my pedal adjustments until it was where I felt most comfortable.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:23 PM

Gernby's statements about the freeplay is very critical. Not enough and you'll damage something, too much and you'll have a higher tendency to grind your shifts, so "preference" is only within certain limits. If your clutch is working well right now and it's only your "feel" for it that is undesirable, you might reconsider messing with it.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:21 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Gernby's statement is true for the most part. As far as the adjustment, there is only one correct setting...ZERO FREEPLAY. And when I say this, I mean the play between the end of the master pushrod, and the master cylinder piston. When set correctly, you should barely be able to see the rod move in the master with light finger pressure applied to the clutch pedal. In other words, you can adjust the rod just before the point it starts moving the master cylinder piston.

Quick Reply: clutch adjustment