S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch ?

Old 12-12-2010, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=rosodigital,Dec 11 2010, 10:26 PM] Its not that hard to eat up a clutch... I knew a douche that went through 2 within a few months cause he thought he was fast... I changed both... The first clutch was the OEM and the second was a clutch masters clutch... I knew it was his driving because the damage to both clutches was identical.

The material was literally shredded off the disc...

Telling us you bang through gears constantly is probably the reason you are have slippage. You could have some glazing or premature wear. Take it easy and drive normal for a while and see if it stops. If it is still doing it after a week of muted driving you may want to think about getting another clutch and a new driving style.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by osidis,Dec 12 2010, 02:38 PM
sounds good to me. ur right. i was referring to 6th gear @ 25mpg. simply not enough engine tq
It's refered to as "lugging" the engine.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by osidis,Dec 11 2010, 11:00 PM
that stock clutch can handle quit a bit! even slamming through the gears as you mentioned. what i think you are referring to is the clutch delay mechanism built into all ap2 to help prevent drive line damage. look it up on this forum. thats what i think you are talking about. and yes you can fix it really easy. it will take about 20 min at most, start to finish. try double clutching also, its much easier on the car. all though our car can take a beating and keep on ticking doesnt mean that its bullet proof. enjoy it for what it is. i think these guys that responded negatively were just looking to knock someone. keep doing what you're doing. AND if you **** it up, that just one more reason to upgrade that part! good luck. also, the lighter flywheel would suit you well, allowing you to shift as fast as you want without having to slam the gears. you can break the synchros that way. while you're at it upgrade the clutch to an Science of Speed single oe style replacement. its perfect if you dont plan on boosting over 7 psi.
its an ap1 no clutch delay, and double clutching ? thats even more abuse man lol I have come to the conclusion its just the rapid shift that the stock clutch was not meant to handle, nor the tranny at that matter....time to save for a hewland dog box : )
Old 12-12-2010, 04:54 PM

You would need to operate the engine at whatever RPM peak torque is produced at and then brake while WOT to see if the clutch is slipping. Though, heat in the clutch can cause some slippage. You can put heat into the clutch from gear changes as some slippage takes place.

Being the fastest driver involves doing everything as fast as possible including shifting. The fastest method of shifting would be to flat shift. Transmissions are wear items on World Challenge SRT-4's. Just expect that you will have to replace components more frequently than a car that is operated by a normal driver.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:09 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by osidis,Dec 12 2010, 03:00 AM
that stock clutch can handle quit a bit! even slamming through the gears as you mentioned. what i think you are referring to is the clutch delay mechanism built into all ap2 to help prevent drive line damage. look it up on this forum. thats what i think you are talking about. and yes you can fix it really easy. it will take about 20 min at most, start to finish. try double clutching also, its much easier on the car. all though our car can take a beating and keep on ticking doesnt mean that its bullet proof. enjoy it for what it is. i think these guys that responded negatively were just looking to knock someone. keep doing what you're doing. AND if you **** it up, that just one more reason to upgrade that part! good luck. also, the lighter flywheel would suit you well, allowing you to shift as fast as you want without having to slam the gears. you can break the synchros that way. while you're at it upgrade the clutch to an Science of Speed single oe style replacement. its perfect if you dont plan on boosting over 7 psi.
1. He doesn't have an AP2 or any CDV.
2. Its not the CDV, its the flywheel/pressure plate combination.