S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

clutch ?

Old 12-10-2010, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clutch ?

i have a low mileage oem clutch that has aprox 10,000 miles on it....I occasionally slam gears HARD and i am a better driver than most so like i really bang those gears like tsuchiya HAHA anyhow it slips a bit, is this just normal for an oem clutch ??
Old 12-11-2010, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put it in 6th, floor it, if the clutch slips then its going out. If it holds and revs normal then your fine. OEM wasn't meant for crazy launches and burning it while switching gears quick. It was meant to be softer and last a long time. Try not to burn it too much on the launch and wait for revs to drop a little before you release the clutch after shifting to the next gear. The smoother you shift the less damage your doing to your transmission.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:22 AM

I would say it is normal. I am stock and used to get slip on the 1-2 if I was too aggressive, yet no slip at any other time. It was usually the result of being a tick early on the gas and late releasing the clutch. I have since backed off on hammering the car and do not feel any slower for it.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:13 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

I always thought good drivers didn't "slam" gears?

10k mi on a clutch and slipping? It sounds like you abuse the clutch, so maybe its a result of your driving. Are you doing this with street use?
Old 12-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Banned

Good drivers never mention how good they are but Great drivers are allowed to

It sounds like you are over heating the clutch, maybe by not releasing the accelerator while up-shifting at high rpm (Speed-shifting, as some call it). More heat, less friction, similar to brake fade, at least on a OEM disk.

But having said that, if your such a good driver you should know that already and not post that question
Old 12-11-2010, 03:10 PM

ive owned my S for 4 years and still have never launched or "power shifted"...none of that non sense when i say i slam i just mean that i can bang a gear fast with the traditional clutch in gear change clutch out and gas nothing more.....i never beat on my car i in fact baby it..yea i figure this was pretty much normal since its an oem clutch and not meant for such rapid gear changes. Last night was the first time i actually really decided to go thru the gears with some fast changes and this was when i noticed it. anyjow thanks for the feedback
Old 12-11-2010, 03:14 PM

[QUOTE=Saki GT,Dec 11 2010, 10:13 AM] I always thought good drivers didn't "slam" gears?

10k mi on a clutch and slipping?
Old 12-11-2010, 03:16 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by crank,Dec 10 2010, 11:35 PM
i have a low mileage oem clutch that has aprox 10,000 miles on it....I occasionally slam gears HARD and i am a better driver than most so like i really bang those gears like tsuchiya HAHA anyhow it slips a bit, is this just normal for an oem clutch ??
Talk about over compensating. Turn down the ego there sports fan.

You're driving like shit and the car doesn't like it. Learn to drive.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:23 PM

i did all standard procedures to check for excessive cluth slippage after i noticed this and nothing out of the ordinary, thanks for all the feed back guys!!

anther random question, when i had an old oem clutch that was worn to the point the entire surface area was one even surface,NEW oem clutches have like slits in it. the worn clutch grabbed much harder than the NEW oem one, is this simply due to more surface area of friction material gripping the flywheel ?
Old 12-11-2010, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2,Dec 11 2010, 04:16 PM
Talk about over compensating. Turn down the ego there sports fan.

You're driving like shit and the car doesn't like it. Learn to drive.
wow haha, you interpret it however you like. was simply trying to convey the slam part so i could get feedback that would pertain to my specific situation....if i said hey i drive like normal and my clutch is slipping you think im gonna get the feedback im looking for? i needed to convey that i was shifting it harder than most i guess you could say. looking back i guess how i worded it could come off a little douschy, hence the haha i added in.. but a big ego is the last thing i have so i do apologize. I am actually a very quiet person. I put the engine in this car myself and do all work on my own, and if theres somthn i dont know i reach out for tutor!! i appreciate this car more than the close on my back so please spare me the ego comments.

Quick Reply: clutch ?