S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch

Old 07-27-2014, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch

Just posted on introduction forum but thought I would put it here also -- hope I am not breaking rules or offending anyone. Will also try to find similar threads if I can figure out search info.

Hi All - old new guy to this forum. I have a 2001 S2000 currently sitting in the garage with a bad clutch. Also have a 49 FORD F3 pickup with a 5.0EFI, 5 speed, Jag XJS front suspension I am restoring. Been following this forum since we moved to KY from Chicago suburbs. Would love to talk/email anyone in Lexington area that has put in a new clutch on the S2. I'm having the usual problem of getting the knock sensor out and the top bolt of the starter out - fat hands won't fit up there and I can't see worth a darn to get the socket on the top bolt. Help, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If anyone would want to come over and help you would make my day! Dave S
Old 07-27-2014, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S201DLS
Just posted on introduction forum but thought I would put it here also -- hope I am not breaking rules or offending anyone. Will also try to find similar threads if I can figure out search info.

Hi All - old new guy to this forum. I have a 2001 S2000 currently sitting in the garage with a bad clutch. Also have a 49 FORD F3 pickup with a 5.0EFI, 5 speed, Jag XJS front suspension I am restoring. Been following this forum since we moved to KY from Chicago suburbs. Would love to talk/email anyone in Lexington area that has put in a new clutch on the S2. I'm having the usual problem of getting the knock sensor out and the top bolt of the starter out - fat hands won't fit up there and I can't see worth a darn to get the socket on the top bolt. Help, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If anyone would want to come over and help you would make my day! Dave S
Some people suggested that you take the auto tensioner for the belt off. At that point you have a clear shot at the upper starter bolt. The plastic on the knock sensor is very brittle and breaks in some cases. Good Luck!
Old 07-27-2014, 08:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by S201DLS

the top bolt of the starter out - fat hands won't fit up there and I can't see worth a darn to get the socket on the top bolt.

I always rotate the alternator down and then try to get my set of extensions with a swivel socket on the upper bolt. I have done several and here are the techniques...

- sometimes (rarely) you can actually see to get the socket on.

- sometimes you can get someone else to reach up and guide the socket blindly.

- my favorite is to rig my inspection camera so that I have a view of the bolt and then maneuver to get the socket on.