S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clunky Shifts - Revisted with updates

Old 09-07-2011, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunky Shifts - Revisted with updates

So some of you know I have a 21K mile 2004 s2000 obtained through a private sale, condition of car is excellent even for a 1 year old car (this car is 8 years old).

From the beginning, i've been having some occasionally notchy shifts. It feel like pushing a rod through a hole, but nicking the edge a bit before it goes in. I've done the following already.

A) Flushed Differential with Mobil 1
B) Trans oil change with honda MTF
C) Replaced shift lever with new shift lever and plastic housing + Regreased with 1/3 canister of Urea grease.
D) Clutch reservoir flush x3 by sucking out old fluid, adding new, and pumping lines rapidly 40 times.
E) Zero-ed out clutch rod play, some play still noticeable from CMC.

next to do:

E) Replace MTF with Syncromesh Amsoil.
F) Check clutch slave and polish/grease fork.

Symptoms.

I notice now that i don't think the issue is with the clutch disengage (which i thought it was so I did a lot of fluid/hydraulic work). Even with the engine off and the transmission is warm/cool - when I shift between gears its hard to push into some of them without feeling some sort of resistance.

For example - when I try to push into reverse, this is what I feel/do: Move lever to right, push down, move a tad more right, and pull towards back of car. During the "Pull towards back of car" I feel a noticeable and occasionally strong resistance. Sorta like trying to push a paperclip through a piece of paper feeling. Almost feels like something isn't quite lined up and I'm pushing it back in line.

After I get it in reverse, if I push it back forward and try to go into reverse again - it becomes completely smooth (zero resistance) except for a "bolt action loaded clip" feeling.

This happens in all gears and the symptoms shift from gear to gear depending on which gear I got into last. So if I go back to first, when i try to do reverse again its all "sticky" until I go in and out of reverse.

What symptoms or issue does this come from even when the engine is off?
Old 09-07-2011, 07:54 AM

Received 1,395 Likes on 836 Posts

You may be over thinking this...

Try this...next time you drive, bring the RPMs up to 5500 or so for every shift. This is the preffered range. and shift a LITTLE faster. this way the mainshaft does not slow down to much, and needs to be sped back up with the synrco.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:26 AM

^^^Higher RPM shifting works for me as well, I don't know the science behind it. But I think many s2k owners experience the notchiness. Also getting a heavier shift knob helped for me, feels a lot smoother.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
You may be over thinking this...

Try this...next time you drive, bring the RPMs up to 5500 or so for every shift. This is the preffered range. and shift a LITTLE faster. this way the mainshaft does not slow down to much, and needs to be sped back up with the synrco.
That's good advice. Only thing is I've had shifts throughout all the RPM's at various gear sequences that were completely smooth and some where "clinked".

It just feels odd that when I shift it into reverse with the engine dead, it goes in clinkly. But when i put it out and back it is completely smooth.

Sorta feels like a see-saw effect when putting it in any gear makes other gears "out of alignment."

This happens with the engine off so I can't imagine it being the syncros or not shifting at the right RPMS.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:53 PM

It sounds very normal

The clink into reverse is simply the reverse gear sleeve rotating the reverse gear slightly into position.

Take it out, and the gear will not move when the engine is off. This is why it goes in smooth the second time.

All gears are constant-mesh. Engaging any gear can move the sleeve of any other gear slightly.

Easy first, sticky reverse, vice versa.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:54 PM

Find another s2k owner to meet up with you and switch cars. Drive his, let him drive yours...the magic of the forums.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:03 PM

Received 159 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by gtg749m
^^^Higher RPM shifting works for me as well, I don't know the science behind it. But I think many s2k owners experience the notchiness. Also getting a heavier shift knob helped for me, feels a lot smoother.
+1, higher RPM shifts work for me aswell.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 214 Likes on 147 Posts

Having driven a number of AP1s and AP2s I think its the character of the AP2 transmission - they have a notch like if the shift forks are rubbing against something - I've felt it on numerous AP2s and it seems to start after 30k mi or so regardless of age. Maybe its the carbon synchros and how they feel after they are broken in.

People say I'm crazy and there's nothing wrong with the car, and there probably isn't, but its a definite notch-type feeling, even when the car is off and you just row the gears.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by fernando.
Originally Posted by gtg749m' timestamp='1315412819' post='20950905
+1, higher RPM shifts work for me aswell.
+1, same exact issues. Try flicking it into second before first and same with reverse, hit another gear before and it goes in every time.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
It sounds very normal

The clink into reverse is simply the reverse gear sleeve rotating the reverse gear slightly into position.

Take it out, and the gear will not move when the engine is off. This is why it goes in smooth the second time.

All gears are constant-mesh. Engaging any gear can move the sleeve of any other gear slightly.

Easy first, sticky reverse, vice versa.
Ah! thats exactly how it feels. Its feels like something rotating into position.

I always thought that would be odd cause out of the blue, you get shifts that feel like the sleeves are completely lined up and then 2 seconds later its slightly off again. I guess its not damaging then to the gears when the shifts get "clinked"?

Quick Reply: Clunky Shifts - Revisted with updates