S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clunking from the rear???? what the hell is causing that?

Old 01-07-2003, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking from the rear???? what the hell is causing that?

hey guys, i lowered my car w/Ground Control Adjustable springs. i had my car REALLY low since the day of the install, however, last night, i finally raised it a bit. so now, i'm not slammed!
when i got my springs installed, everything was normal, however, for about 3 months, i've been hearing the most annoying clunking noise coming directly from the rear! it's not in the front, or the middle of the car, simply from the rear, exactly where the tires, shocks and springs are!
i heard my CV joint could be causing this noise, however, not knowing much about technical stuff... i was thinking perhaps my shocks are shocked? i've ran my lowered car on stocks springs for about 6k so far... and the noise occured around 4+k!
i think i might add that the noise of course is only heard when the car goes over slight bumps on the road or any uneven surfaces!
it's not heard much on high speeds, just city driving! but that could be b/c highways are concstructed better?
i ordered koni adjustable shocks just b/c it's time for them, but any clue if that'll solve my problem?
thanks much,
tommy!
Old 01-07-2003, 09:41 AM

i have the same exact problem except i dropped my car with kg/mm race springs. i also experience the clunk when going over small bumps or mildly harsh road conditions.

if you ever find out what that noise is please let me know.

chris
Old 01-07-2003, 10:00 AM

check the torque on the bolts on the strut towers. I have experienced the popping sound from a few different sets of springs that I have owned. One set it was from the coils of the spring rubbing
Old 01-07-2003, 11:31 AM

vtecskunk is right, check the torque on those bolts.
My guess, since i had this problem with my acura cl is that your stock shocks are gone due to your lowering. Thats why if you are going to go low the best thing to do is get a coilover set that the shock rod is shorter in length.
I had h&r 2 " drop springs on my cl after a while i got a clunk sound on small bumps, changed the shocks and it was gone.
My mechanic told me the same.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:39 AM

wow... so if i replace my shocks to the koni adjustables then my problem should be solved?
thanks so much for the immediate replys!
Old 01-07-2003, 03:35 PM

Oh sh*t. I just started experienceing the same thing on my way to work this morning. My sound is more like two metal peices rubbing together than a clunk noise. My S is lowered on KG/MM race. I also took my rear lower sway bar off because I needed to do some exhaust work. Pls don't tell me I need new shocks. I can't afford coilovers just yet.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kekoa
[B]Oh sh*t.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kekoa
[B]Oh sh*t.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:27 AM

i don't know if this will work but you can give it a try. i had the exact same problem when i lowered my car with my neuspeeds. it's an annoying clunking noise. i'd open my trunk and made sure all the bolts were on tight and rock the car up and down but the noise would only come out when i'm driving.

i did a little bit of searching and someone told me to make sure that i tightened both swaybar links (i think that what's they're called) on the rear. you know that upper and lower bolts under the car where you need an allen wrench and a 14mm tighten or loosen it in most cases. well i found out that the top sway bar link wasn't tight. it's wierd to cause when i lowered it, i never even touched that bolt. so i tightened it up pretty good and the clunking just went away. hope that helps
Old 01-08-2003, 06:50 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TommyAmrani
[B]wow... so if i replace my shocks to the koni adjustables then my problem should be solved?

Quick Reply: Clunking from the rear???? what the hell is causing that?