S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clunking noise from rear driver's side

Old 01-19-2005, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clunking noise from rear driver's side

I noticed this problem maybe 2 weeks ago. I heard a very slight clunk from the rear on and off. I couldn't figure out what it was and it didn't happen enough for me to worry. But this week, today specifically the clunking is pretty loud and occurs very frequenlty.

I can notice the sound usually when going over mild bumps, but I also hear the sound sometimes when I come to a stop. I've checked the suspension and swaybar, took out the spare/tools, checked thee exhaust hangers, but they all seem fine. The problem is it is hard to replicate the noise, it happens randomnly.

Some background: I put my stock suspension back on about a month ago, maybe it is something loose? It does seem like it's coming from the shock area but it is really hard to tell.

Any thoughts, ideas? I've heard some people having this problem with the axle, and hub. XViper if you could reply it would be great. I was planning to drive 300 miles north for a track even at Laguna Seca but now I am not so sure.

Sri
Old 01-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Try this:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70196

I heard the same noise for the first time today too. Go figure.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ludedude,Jan 19 2005, 08:06 PM
Try this:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70196

I heard the same noise for the first time today too. Go figure.
Do you hear it when you're going over bumps? It seems to be loudest then, but there is no real pattern to it. Also, my noise is more of a clunk than a click. Should I be worried?
Old 01-19-2005, 08:05 PM
Administrator

DOn't know. Heard it for the first time today when I put the exhaust silencer in for the Laguna trip. I was blasting up and down the road bedding new pads/rotors and at a stop sign I made a left and heard this clunk when starting up. That got my attention so I tried to repeat it. Every time I start moving, forward or reverse, I hear this clunk from what appears to be driver's rear.

If the wheel falls off at Laguna I hope someone gets it on video
Old 01-19-2005, 08:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pantyraider,Jan 19 2005, 09:01 PM
Some background: I put my stock suspension back on about a month ago, maybe it is something loose? It does seem like it's coming from the shock area but it is really hard to tell.
Aside from what has already been posted, I'm going to key in on this statement of yours. When you put your suspension back on, did you torque everything down with the suspension "loaded" or up on jackstands? Did you lube all the bushings at the time? Suspension components should always be torqued with the car's weight on them and bushings should be greased with the appropriate lubricant before re-assembly. Failure to do so can cause odd noises from bushings and make for suspension bind-up.

Also, when you put the spare back in and tightened the nut down tight, did the noise stop?
Old 01-19-2005, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ludedude,Jan 19 2005, 10:05 PM
DOn't know. Heard it for the first time today when I put the exhaust silencer in for the Laguna trip. I was blasting up and down the road bedding new pads/rotors and at a stop sign I made a left and heard this clunk when starting up. That got my attention so I tried to repeat it. Every time I start moving, forward or reverse, I hear this clunk from what appears to be driver's rear.

If the wheel falls off at Laguna I hope someone gets it on video
Putting in a silencer changes the way the exhaust system flows (obviously). In your case, I believe that it changed in such a way as to produce a severe exhaust pipe shake. This generally happens when you are accelerating under load. For some reason, this is the circumstance that generates the most exhaust system movement. This movement may be enought to cause some part of the system to hit another part of the car, making the noise you hear. Have someone follow you one day to observe the amount of exhaust movement.
To prove or disprove my statements, get some small rope and tie the exhaust system just before the half-shafts and near the tip(s) so as to restrict side to side movement as much as possible. A "clove hitch" will suffice and tie each tag end to something one each side of the pipe. If the noise stops, you'll need to find stiffer hangers.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Jan 19 2005, 09:42 PM
Aside from what has already been posted, I'm going to key in on this statement of yours. When you put your suspension back on, did you torque everything down with the suspension "loaded" or up on jackstands? Did you lube all the bushings at the time? Suspension components should always be torqued with the car's weight on them and bushings should be greased with the appropriate lubricant before re-assembly. Failure to do so can cause odd noises from bushings and make for suspension bind-up.

Also, when you put the spare back in and tightened the nut down tight, did the noise stop?
I jacked up the control arms before torqueing it down. I didn't lube the bushings though. What bushings are you exactly talking about? The noise was still there after I took the spare out, I haven't put it back in. The handling and ride seem to be normal though, I'm just worried something will go wrong at the track.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by xviper,Jan 19 2005, 09:49 PM
Putting in a silencer changes the way the exhaust system flows (obviously). In your case, I believe that it changed in such a way as to produce a severe exhaust pipe shake. This generally happens when you are accelerating under load. For some reason, this is the circumstance that generates the most exhaust system movement. This movement may be enought to cause some part of the system to hit another part of the car, making the noise you hear. Have someone follow you one day to observe the amount of exhaust movement.
To prove or disprove my statements, get some small rope and tie the exhaust system just before the half-shafts and near the tip(s) so as to restrict side to side movement as much as possible. A "clove hitch" will suffice and tie each tag end to something one each side of the pipe. If the noise stops, you'll need to find stiffer hangers.
Hi Dave,

What you say makes sense but I don't think that's the case here. I didn't hear the noise under hard acceleration but rather just slowly moving off from a stop in either forward or reverse. It happens with almost no throttle applied; just one clunk when motion starts in either direction.

I'm going to torque down the axle nuts tomorrow and see if it stops. If so then I'll replace them per the TSB.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ludedude,Jan 19 2005, 11:30 PM
Hi Dave,

What you say makes sense but I don't think that's the case here. I didn't hear the noise under hard acceleration but rather just slowly moving off from a stop in either forward or reverse. It happens with almost no throttle applied; just one clunk when motion starts in either direction.
This generally when you get the most exhaust flow induced movement. Have someone follow you and get them to observe the exhaust tip. If you don't get a lot of movement when you hear the noise, then I'm off base. It's almost like a resonance induced noise. Only at a given exhaust flow under mild load does it move a lot.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by pantyraider,Jan 19 2005, 11:01 PM
I noticed this problem maybe 2 weeks ago. I heard a very slight clunk from the rear on and off. I couldn't figure out what it was and it didn't happen enough for me to worry. But this week, today specifically the clunking is pretty loud and occurs very frequenlty.

I can notice the sound usually when going over mild bumps, but I also hear the sound sometimes when I come to a stop. I've checked the suspension and swaybar, took out the spare/tools, checked thee exhaust hangers, but they all seem fine. The problem is it is hard to replicate the noise, it happens randomnly.

Any thoughts, ideas? I've heard some people having this problem with the axle, and hub. XViper if you could reply it would be great. I was planning to drive 300 miles north for a track even at Laguna Seca but now I am not so sure.

Sri
Im getting a similar noise from my passenger side, but I have BC's. Now I also have the axle nut noise so I can tell the difference. The axle nut is more of a click than clunk. Also it will not click while going over bumps, only start and stops either forward or reverse. I have not gotten a chance yet to get mine up in the air and take apart my rear shock. I'm waiting for a nicer day, just snowed here.

Quick Reply: Clunking noise from rear driver's side