S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

"Clunk" sound when coming to a complete stop?

Old 02-15-2010, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you slow to a stop, try leaving the car in gear for as long as possible, OR downshift through the majority of the gears. If you go neutral-->clutch in to stop signs, the last gear's cog that you were driving in will still be spinning at the speed at which you went into neutral, and putting the car into first will cause the "clunk" sound because the cog is still spinning, I believe.

That is a very spartan explanation and definitely wrong in some spots, but I'm pretty sure that's what causes it.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leigat,Feb 14 2010, 03:45 PM
I have come to the conclusion that my rear end diff has gone out also/. Th whole clunking sound along with it not really driveable. Does any one have a AP2 differential for sale or know where I can look for one. MY s2k is only a 2002 year with 22k miles. I believe the supercharger I have in it was too much for the AP1 diff. Pease help!!!
if you know how to drive, then no, it wasn't "too much" for the diff

if you launched and bogged repeatedly, then yea, it could've been "too much"

OP, i'm thinking the problem is the rear axle nut
Old 01-22-2011, 05:56 AM
Former Moderator

Back from the dead here because I've got the exact same thing. Kind of an odd low speed clunking. Coasting slowly through a parking lot it's almost embarrassing. If it's still doing it at higher speeds, it's just not as perceptible. It's a 2004, I am lowered and I am supercharged, but I'm very moderately lowered and I'm not hard on the drivetrain at all. Car has about 40k miles on it.

I'm curious about this axle nut thing as well. How would that cause it? My first thought was a CV/axle
Old 01-22-2011, 06:28 AM
Former Moderator

Ok, it's not a CV/axle. I've got no more play on the right side than the left... and that's very very little play, in and out only, not in any sort of a wobble.

When I jack the rear of the car up and use both hands to "bump" the right rear down, you can hear a slight clunk (not topping it out either). When I do the same on the left it's not there.

The problem now is finding out where it's coming from. I'm pretty sure this is the "clunk" in question. Any ideas? Are there any rubber bushings that are a normal wear-out item?
Old 01-22-2011, 11:41 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Flite,Jan 22 2011, 10:28 AM
Ok, it's not a CV/axle. I've got no more play on the right side than the left... and that's very very little play, in and out only, not in any sort of a wobble.

When I jack the rear of the car up and use both hands to "bump" the right rear down, you can hear a slight clunk (not topping it out either). When I do the same on the left it's not there.

The problem now is finding out where it's coming from. I'm pretty sure this is the "clunk" in question. Any ideas? Are there any rubber bushings that are a normal wear-out item?
This isn't the same thing you mentioned with the dust cover on the KWs?

I would first check every single suspension bolt. Torque them all with the suspension loaded. Definitely check the rear sway bar drop links and mounts also.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:11 PM

Clunk noise usually only going in reverse for me.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:28 PM

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

I had the same issue with my car. Clunking sound just before stopping, and whine on acceleration. I traced it to a bad inner pinion bearing. I found out by disconnecting the driveshaft and the drive axles, and attempting to turn the pinion flange by hand. In my case, it was turning very rough, almost seizing in some spots.

Sooo I removed the differential, disassembled it and attempted to turn the pinion by hand without the carrier in place and it was just rough turning. I found the big bearing race with lots of pitting. Rebuilt it and that cured it.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Former Moderator

Pete, this something different. Maybe its been there for a while and I just noticed it more because I haven't driven the car in so long... or maybe its getting worse. Either way, its not quite right. I loosened, loaded the suspension, and retorqued every thing today to no avail. The sway bar drop links are tight

fatjoe, I'm pretty sure its not bearing related. It doesn't seem to have any thing to do with accelerating, or even forward motion to be honest. Its simply a noise made whenever the suspension goes over a sharp bump, even a subtle one. Like I said, it can be replicated somewhat by hand.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:30 AM
Former Moderator

FIXED!

Incredible how minor this was and I'm in shock that something so minor could cause such a loud noise. Jacked up my car (again) today. Checked torques on suspension mounting points and sway bar end links, looked for bad bushings, checked out the axle and CV joint, etc etc. I couldn't find anything.

Decided to take my drivers side wheel off as well to cross check everything. I noticed this:

This is the driver's side:
Name:  2011-01-23_10-33-00_162.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  91.5 KB

And this is the passenger side:
Name:  2011-01-23_10-32-38_519.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  90.6 KB

Somehow, the dust shield came off the bump stop and had seated itself down around the shock body. Pulled the passenger side coilover out, took it apart, reseated the dust shield, put it back together, and voila.... fixed. Good as new. I'm just updating here for the purpose of future search results.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Chris, great to see you found the issue.

Actually, that is my ONLY complaint with the KW V3s; the dust boot design. I usually get some random clacking/tapping from them from time to time. Seems when they get cocked sideways, they start rubbing against the shock body and inner spring.

Quick Reply: "Clunk" sound when coming to a complete stop?