S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cltuch problems

Old 09-12-2012, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cltuch problems

I took my S to the shop for clutch replacement, because I didn't have a time to do work myself. I went with Exedy clutch kit from Ebay. After the install it I took my car for a ride and it rand perfect. After like an hour of driving I went to highway and WOT all they way until red line and ass soon as I press the pedal to switch gears from 4th to 5th my pedal went to the floor and never came back. I took it to a shop and it was Clutch release ford which wasn't in its place. They put it all back and car ran good for 2 days. I was going to work when on my last turn I WOT in 3rd gear and same thing again, pedal went to the floor. I parked the car at the work and waited for work to end. Guess what, pedal would go back to normal after I pump it, but car wouldn't start. Called a tow truck, and when we get to shop, turns out that same Clutch Release fork came off of its place and got stuck with clutch. They fixed again. But i am afraid it is gonna come back. What could be the reason for all of this?

Sorry for my shitty English in advance.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:07 AM

the fork is held by a latch at the bellhousing -- between the fork pivot shaft and the bellhousing fork holder latch -- one of them is worn out.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by s2kseven
the fork is held by a latch at the bellhousing -- between the fork pivot shaft and the bellhousing fork holder latch -- one of them is worn out.
So you saying now I have to take my tranny out again and replace those parts? Damn, that's crazy.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

not necessarily. They could have bent out the holder that's bolted to the tranny. If you pull the fork out again, you can use a pry bar or a pickle fork to bend the holder closed a little more and see if that'll solve the issue.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
not necessarily. They could have bent out the holder that's bolted to the tranny. If you pull the fork out again, you can use a pry bar or a pickle fork to bend the holder closed a little more and see if that'll solve the issue.
That's what he actually did, and so far car runs good. But, I am gonna wait like a weed or so, if it runs good with no problems I will leave it as is until next time tranny gets dropped.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:25 AM

I believed you can pull the fork out.
Get a flashlight and try to bend the tab that holds the fork pivot shaft at the bellhousing.
You might be able to get away. (same what jordan was saying)
Old 09-12-2012, 11:58 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

arent you suppose to break in the clutch? 200-300 miles before ripping gears...
Old 09-12-2012, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
arent you suppose to break in the clutch? 200-300 miles before ripping gears...
Yeah, I should. But I am Inpatient.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:00 AM

Ok. Here is the Update. I didn't wanna use mechanics again, so I went ahead and replaced Clutch Release fork and its hanger myself. But what I experience now is that, if in second gear I hit vtec (up to 8k rpms) my clutch pedal drops half way. Lets say pedal is 4" away from firewall, when I press it to change to 3rd gear its engaging point drops to about 2" from the firewall ( just an example). Could it be from the fluid, since they didn't put new fluid, they just reused old one? Or should I look for new Master and Slave Cylinders?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does this happen every time? Or just randomly? If it happens every time i would imagine its still the clutch fork issues.

If its random then yes it could be your master. You can exchange the fluid with a syringe or turkey baster yourself and then see how it feels after a good bleed. If the problem still persists then you might want to look into a master cylinder.

As for the slave, once they go, they usually dont work at all so you would know if it was that.

Quick Reply: Cltuch problems