S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

cloud of white smoke

Old 02-18-2009, 09:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

its your test pipe i promise you. this is the reason i switched to a HFC. it would happen to me at idle when at a stop light or in traffic. if my top was down i could smell it before it happened. it was an burning oil smell. when i would leave (gently) i would have a trail of smoke behind me. it's kinda embarrassing, having a nice car do that. anyways, i noticed that when i would put my stock cat back on it wouldnt do that. a cat hides everything. your car probably uses a little oil in between changes. the test pipe lets you know when this oil is being burnt, and oddly, it happens quite frequently at stop lights or at idle settings. that's not to say that it doesnt happen during vtec engagement, because it did for me as well (clouds of whitesh smoke). put a HFC or your stock cat back on and i will gaurentee that it wont happen.

btw, i have an ap1 with 85,000miles
Old 02-18-2009, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well that makes sense because yes its embarresing that you have a nice car and its smoking out like you don't take care of it. That being said im sure its not the coolant, I didnt know it could do that and I know my fuel is good because I use a fuel cleaning system everytime I change my oil. It just happens when im rolling forward and start backing into reverse but without actually stopping. Then I notice that cloud of white smoke and when Im in traffic. But I can see how it can be the cat because its just a straight pipe nothing fat in the middle. IM gonna get rid of it and put my ebay testpipe back on and sell this one. Other than that, im guessing that would be it right? Nothing major to worry about just the fact that I dont have a stock cat on and the stock cat is what stops that smoke from coming out right???
Old 02-19-2009, 04:47 AM

i think i have seen your car when i went to best buy in round rock...i was in my silverstone..i have a test pipe but i dont see any smoke shooting out of my exhaust..
Old 02-19-2009, 04:54 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

honestly, it may be all the additives you add to your oil change... may I recommend pure Q horsepower? I'm running that and I've NEVER had any white smoke issues..
Old 02-19-2009, 09:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All those additives are probably doing your car way more harm than good.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:16 AM

I can see the test pipe because I have two different kinds one thats a straight pipe thats installed now, and Im about to install the other one Im selling I guess its a HFC. As for the additives, Im just trying to take good care of the car and It didnt start doing that smoke stuff until I put the pipe on.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a test pipe, and its been almost 3 years. i have not seen white smoke ever since i installed my test pipe.

i dont think its the test pipe

stop putting that additive thing and see from there.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil change every 2500 miles, all those additives and fuel cleaners cannot be good for your car. They are designed to clean really dirty engines, which your car's engine is not if you don't even take the car to vtec land and always use new oil.

What a waste of time, money, effort and car.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

all i know is, his car is doing exactly what my car did and his car is an AP1 with similar miles as mine.

fact: what i did fixed the problem.
opinion: he should try it.

ps - i would stop using all those additives
Old 02-20-2009, 05:53 PM

i have no cats, no white smoke here.

White smoke is indication of moisture in your exhaust such as condensation (water) or coolant.

Black smoke, your running rich, unburned fuel

Blue smoke, your buring oil which is BAD.

chill out on the additives, check your coolant level

Quick Reply: cloud of white smoke