S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clicking - wheel bearings?

Old 09-14-2011, 05:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. You could try putting the ce28n's back on again and see if it comes back?
Old 09-15-2011, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if I understand you correctly, I have put the CE28N's back on already - the noise is still there.

As I said, I'll have to sand the paint off on the tapered part of the lug holes and then check again if the noise is finally gone.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:56 AM

you didn't mention in your post that you had put the CE28n's back on, your post sounded like you had just switched to your other wheels. If you took them off for a bit, had no clicking, then put them back on and had clicking again, then it does sound like something with the wheels. Curious how it'll be after the sanding...it seems unlikely that that would happen - the lugs shouldn't be moving in relation to the wheels. But it sounds like it's worth a try.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:32 PM

Yeah, that's what I tried to say, I was not clear enough.

It really seems unlikely, but it's just the only thing I can think of - what else could cause such a loud clicking noise if the wheels are the source?!

We'll see...
Old 09-28-2014, 02:19 AM

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Sorry to bump and old thread, but just wanted to see if there was any more info on this?

I seem to be experiencing the same type of clicking. Had front hubs and wheel bearings replaced as I suspected that was the issue, but seems to have come back. Very similar symptoms to those listed hear, definitely seems to be louder once the car is hot. At the track I would notice the clicking after coming off the track and just making a u-turn with the car. Definitely coming from the fronts as I had some people listen to it as the car was turning. I have 2-piece rotors so I thought it might be some lose rotor hat hardware, but after giving it a once over it all seemed to be fine. Regreased brake caliper pins and made sure everything was cool with the calipers, made sure the brake lines were rubbing on anything, although that may still be a possibility. I could find any parts in the front wheel well that seem to have been rubbing or hitting anything when the car is loaded up on that side.

I do run CE28Ns with aluminum hub rings so maybe I will try popping my OEM front wheels on to see if that changes anything. Should be noted that I had definitely run the CE28Ns with no problems for quite some time including multiple track days.

I feel like this started to happen after I had stainless brake lines installed but as noted they don't seem to be hitting anything. Anything I could be missing with the brake lines maybe?

Thanks.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:49 AM

Sorry, I never reported the results.
However, after sanding off the paint the clicking noise was reduced by a lot and it only comes back when putting a lot of stress on the wheels (heat) like when driving on the track.
I did the sanding by hand so it's not perfect as there are still some spots with paint. I suspect that if I had it professionally done the issue would be completely gone.

In the meantime I also got a third set of wheels (WedsSport TC105N).
Unfortunately, they are also painted in this area and I also got the ticking noise when I took them the to the track the second time.

I never ever experienced any ticking noise with my set of OZ Ultraleggera which have no paint where the nuts are torqued to the wheel.
I don't really understand why some Japanese manufacturers are putting paint on a surface which experiences such strong forces
Old 09-28-2014, 06:37 AM

I have continued to not have any problems for the last few years, so what I did in the post above fixed it. I think it was the wheel bearings or the torquing of the axle nuts.

Or hey if it really is the paint on the lug surface thing it's possible taking the wheels off and on a bunch of times to do that work and keep checking things wore the paint off that surface. Still seems really unlikely to me but I can't discount it if it worked for someone else.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:16 AM

Thanks. Yeah I don't see how it could be the paint on the mounting surface. My wheels are mounted/unmounted all the time and that paint is long gone. I know many many people who only track their car with the same wheels (and TC105Ns) with no ticking issues at all. I will try mounting my OEM wheels to rule that out as an issue, but the sound is definitely only coming from the front and not the rear.

I might take the car into my S2000 friend's shop and have them start digging around.

Is there anything else in the front I might be missing, anything that could be overlooked when the wheel bearings are replaced? I had a reputable shop do the work and they know the S2000 well.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:29 AM

Did it go away temporarily after doing the bearings?
Old 09-28-2014, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by IntegraR0064
Did it go away temporarily after doing the bearings?
Yep definitely. After having them replaced and running them in a bit, I took the car out and put it through it's paces and it seemed to be completely gone no matter how hard I pushed the car. After more and more use it started happening, and was very noticeable after coming off the track after a 20 min. session.

Quick Reply: Clicking - wheel bearings?