S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clicking Top Driving Me Crazy!

Old 06-19-2006, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clicking Top Driving Me Crazy!

I recently had my top replaced under warranty because it was developing a slight tear on the seam behind the driver's side window. Anyhow, a few weeks after I got my car back, the top developed a clicking noise that appears to be originating from the passenger side. It's driving me nuts! It's not a metallic clicking noise more like the sound of the soft top vinyl being stuck together and then unstuck (if that makes any sense). Anyhow, I think I figured out what the problem is I just don't know how to fix it. I think the sound is coming from the red highlighted portion of the picture below. It seems like the clicking noise is coming from the fabric that is wrapped around the support bar pressing and unpressing against the soft top. When I push up on this bar with my hand thus making the bar sit firmly against the soft top, the noise seems to disappear. How can I tighten up this area to get rid of the clicking noise? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:09 AM

Can I push the bar foward/up to tighten it by adjusting any of those screws in the assembly located in the background of the picture?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same problem. if you look at the passenger side, one of the beams across the top will go into a joint with a plastic cover on it. unscrew that cover take it off and wd40 the joint. you can see if thats the beam by pushing on it and letting it drop back. that was the case for at least two of us here =P good luck. mine has been fixed for over a year now with one application of wd40.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:13 PM

Thank you terahertz!! I'll give it a try this afternoon and report back.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by terahertz,Jun 19 2006, 12:49 PM
i had the same problem. if you look at the passenger side, one of the beams across the top will go into a joint with a plastic cover on it. unscrew that cover take it off and wd40 the joint. you can see if thats the beam by pushing on it and letting it drop back. that was the case for at least two of us here =P good luck. mine has been fixed for over a year now with one application of wd40.
terahertz - any chance you could give me a better description or a picture of the piece you're speaking of? I'm a little unsure what piece I'm supposed to wd-40. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2006, 01:59 PM

let me see if i can dig up the pics i used to show the other person a while ago.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by terahertz,Jun 19 2006, 01:59 PM
let me see if i can dig up the pics i used to show the other person a while ago.
Thanks, Terahertz
Old 06-19-2006, 02:01 PM

first arrow is the screw second is the joint
Old 06-19-2006, 02:36 PM

Thank you SO much, terahertz. I can't wait to give this a shot. I'm almost certain that this little bit is the culprit.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:47 PM

np. crap i just realized the host im using makes those links temporary. did you save the picture? if you still need the pic pm me ur email. glad i could help.

Quick Reply: Clicking Top Driving Me Crazy!